PDA

View Full Version : My fun monday

Dan
30-05-05, 05:06 PM
As some of you have read or know, after many years hard driving and abuse my gearbox decided to chew itself up :lol: (although long long overdue tbh).

I spent the day today messing around on my own getting the damaged box off and putting a standard box back on for the moment so i could still get it to PV. (between now and the cars next event i will rebuild another box and have my diff checked over etc giving me more time to sort it.)

Here's a few little pics that show the damage the gears did to themselves

http://www2.novaload.net/files/dan/newcar/gbox1.jpg

http://www2.novaload.net/files/dan/newcar/gbox2.jpg

http://www2.novaload.net/files/dan/newcar/gbox3.jpg

J4MES
30-05-05, 05:12 PM
nice mess....lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pazman
30-05-05, 05:16 PM
:o wow that is what you call chewed up.

Philsutton
30-05-05, 05:17 PM
You certainly did a good job there lol

scott.parker
30-05-05, 06:08 PM
:o fucker mother :lol:

Dose look like you got them good there mate,glad it will be sorted though as it would be ashame to not see the car at pv.

Scott

CP
30-05-05, 06:16 PM
hmm dog box needed i reckon :lol:

Dan
30-05-05, 06:21 PM
Give ya 50 quid for it :lol: :lol:

Phil_G
30-05-05, 06:22 PM
hmm dog box needed i reckon :lol:

Hmmmm.. cant see what benfit that will give

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/Phil_G/dogbox_1.jpg

lol :P

phil

Ben
30-05-05, 07:24 PM
If thats the one you just bought i would hate to see the old one :lol: :lol: :lol:

srs1
30-05-05, 07:44 PM
you have done a good job on that matey

benji
30-05-05, 08:22 PM
whats the difference between a dogbox and a sccr box?

Riggy
30-05-05, 10:19 PM
:o you have been abusing that havent you dan :lol:

Aragorn
30-05-05, 10:23 PM
if i recall my gearbox terms rightly a dog box is designed for rough use and has a different (or perhaps no) synchromesh system than a normal box

BigRuss
30-05-05, 11:34 PM
Dan, as I said earlier, that is officially tommy tanked :lol:

Aragorn Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:23 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if i recall my gearbox terms rightly a dog box is designed for rough use and has a different (or perhaps no) synchromesh system than a normal box

I am running a quaife dog box in the Rally car. Dog boxes have no Synchro's or baulk rings in between the gears at all. They are very very mechanical sounding on gear changes and can certainly take a lot more punishment than a synchro box.

The big advantage of running one is that you only need the clutch to get off the line. Once rolling you don't need to use the clutch to change up or down a gear 8) .

benji
31-05-05, 12:39 AM
The big advantage of running one is that you only need the clutch to get off the line. Once rolling you don't need to use the clutch to change up or down a gear 8) .

which is nice :D

J4MES
31-05-05, 10:08 AM
dog box for christmas then...lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stuart
31-05-05, 08:08 PM

But the gearstick tends to break your wrist if your not expecting it lol

Snowface
31-05-05, 09:33 PM
:o fucker mother :lol:

Dose look like you got them good there mate,glad it will be sorted though as it would be ashame to not see the car at pv.

Scott

Swear filter ain't working lol.

Dog box's tend to whine a lot (sorry for the pun) don't they? A lot more noisy.

benji
31-05-05, 09:51 PM
thats a straight cut box that whines

BigRuss
31-05-05, 11:37 PM
Lets just clarify this for people so they understand,

All straight cut boxes whine, thats why production car gearboxes have helical gears as they are practically noise free.

Now the terms synchro box and dog box refers to the mechanisms within the gearboxes which allow you to engage and disengage gears. Dog gearboxes are stronger than synchro boxes and will take a lot more punishment.

My dog box sounds the same if I change gear with the clutch or without it!!!

So again a SCCR quaife box could be either a synchro box (Which 90% of those in circulation are) or a dog box.

With the dog box you also have to buy a Quaife heavy duty turret with brass finger :o :lol: and the Quaife internal gear stick and solid direct linkage.

Second hand quaife synchro boxes are from ?1000 - ?1250 complete.

Second hand Dog boxes are from ?2500 - ?3500 complete with turret and stick/linkage, big price range to reflect 5 speed and 6 speed boxes.

Hope this makes it clearer!!

Aragorn
01-06-05, 12:19 AM
this consuses me slightly

its my understanding that the job of the baulkrings/synchros in the standard box are to match the speed of the input shaft to the speed of the mainshaft for the new gear?

this is why when using them hard your making them work much harder as theyve got less time to get the input shaft upto speed before engaging the new gear?

now i know u can shift a synchro box with no clutch by matching rpm on the input and mainshafts for the new gear your about to select

however if u try to shift a dog box, clutch or not, there would be no speed matching? so surely the gears will grind on every shift?

example, u dip the clutch and attempt to engage 2nd gear at 30mph.
mainshaft will be doing 4000rpm say in 2nd but input shaft has stopped (clutch is down) with no synchros how exactly does the input shaft come upto speed without metal on metal gear grinding?

BigRuss
01-06-05, 12:28 AM
I will try and explain this...................

The gears themselves have dogs which are basically square blocks on the outside of them. In between 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th there is a dog ring, which is a disk with cut outs that the dog's locate in to which gives you your drive. 5 thgear has it's own dog ring - disk which only has cut outs on one side of it.

As I said it is very very mechanical sounding, and as Stuart rightly points it will give you a whack in the hand if you try lethagically changing gear. You have to show a dog box who is boss if you like.

You do have to be careful though as the design means you could select any gear at any speed!!

Hope this helps :wink: (wheres Stuart when you need him :lol: )

Stuart
01-06-05, 08:19 AM
i was asleep you scary night person! :p

youve explained it pretty much 100% there, but then i do have a moderate understanding of gearboxes lol.

m.d.
01-06-05, 08:48 AM
i found the scary thing is with a dog box is that it will allow you to put it into any gear at any time. so basically if your flat out in 2nd and go for 3rd and miss it will go right back into 1st. so the next time you bring the clutch up you will see bits of engine flying for miles infront of you