PDA

View Full Version : turbo trouble

LURCHIO_NOVA
30-05-05, 11:54 AM
hi was just wondering if any of you know how to turbo my SRI i was going to use renault 5 GT Turbo parts 2 keep it cheep but i have no idea where 2 start or what sorta cost im looking at

pazman
30-05-05, 12:46 PM
Not too sure but after owning a renault 11 turbo i guess you will need a turbo,exhaust manifold(for the turbo to bolt onto),intercooler,oil feed and poss water feed to turbo unit,turbo pipes,oil cooler etc..

Also i think the compression ratio will have to be modified as turboed cars have a smaller ratio than normal and also your fueling will need to be uprated to supply the extra fuel needed during boost.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head but i am sure some of the other(more technical) members will correct me or add to what is involved.

boredbloke
30-05-05, 03:01 PM
speak to chunk

he's changing a 1.3 into a twin turbo using renault 5 parts

Nick
30-05-05, 03:42 PM
a twin turbo ?

Philsutton
30-05-05, 03:58 PM
gonna say didnt know anything about it being twin turbo

Nick
30-05-05, 04:05 PM
twin turbo and R5 parts sounds interesting :|

Adam
30-05-05, 04:13 PM
Its a single turbo baxter is doing.

Adam
30-05-05, 04:16 PM
Not too sure but after owning a renault 11 turbo i guess you will need a turbo,exhaust manifold(for the turbo to bolt onto),intercooler,oil feed and poss water feed to turbo unit,turbo pipes,oil cooler etc..

Also i think the compression ratio will have to be modified as turboed cars have a smaller ratio than normal and also your fueling will need to be uprated to supply the extra fuel needed during boost.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head but i am sure some of the other(more technical) members will correct me or add to what is involved.
Yep thats about what you need.

You will probably also need a 5th injector on a mpi engine to supply extra fuel as stated above.
And as said, the compression ration will need to be lowered.

Its quite a lot of work tbh.

Nick
30-05-05, 04:44 PM
from what i've seen on baxters pics he is runing a 1.6 GTE/GSi head + cam housing which lowers the compression i do belive.

on a full blown 1.6 turbo, you can achieve 16Psi using a Metal Spacer plate to lower compression, any higher than that and your going to need to use pocketed pistons and such like.

Adam
30-05-05, 04:47 PM
from what i've seen on baxters pics he is runing a 1.6 GTE/GSi head + cam housing which lowers the compression i do belive.

Yup, thats what he is using.
And the reason for the 1600 head is lower compression as you said.
IIRC he is using a thicker metal head gasket, to lower the compression further.
Hence, his bonnet shutting problems :lol:

Nick
30-05-05, 04:49 PM
again the thick metal gasket is used to lower compression

General Baxter
30-05-05, 05:17 PM
bloody hell, i piss off for the afternoon and all hell break loose :wink:

ill add you to msn later and talk a load of jibberish to you, after iv stoped playing with it :lol:

LURCHIO_NOVA
31-05-05, 02:15 PM
hey didnt think i would get this much of a reply i just wanna start gettin all the parts together ready cus ive got a spare SRI engine so im gonna do most of it while the engine is in my shed

what gear box can i use cus a F13 CR is way 2 shit 2 use with turbo power i got a F10 lyin about but will that take the shit?

where can i take the oil feed from and return to?

do i need an oil cooler?

i have 2 many questions and im shure that i will have more when i start the hands on work