PDA

View Full Version : this seems weird

bump
26-05-05, 09:28 PM
i've fitted a std cig lighter socket im my mk2 which had a blown bulb in it, got round to replacing the bulb and it is constantly on unless the side lights are on. this just seems a bit odd, checked the haynes manual ad it doesn't seem to be on a switched feed at all.

i was thinking about taking a feed for it from the dash illumination, any ideas as to what is going on?

Aragorn
26-05-05, 09:44 PM
it should have a black (ie switched live) and a grey/green (dash illumination) going to it

the grey/green goes to ground when the lights are on

bump
26-05-05, 09:50 PM
the bulb is presently running off the grey/green, that's the bit that's getting me. i was out with the multimeter earlier and it''s deffinitly running live untill the sidelights are on, i'm wondering if i could have been miswired at the fusebox?

Aragorn
26-05-05, 10:17 PM
sounds like uve got the polarity switched on the cig lighter socket

it will use the black wire thats already present on the cig socket so if uve connected them up backwards (ie by making your own loom rather than using the original plug) then u'd get these symptoms

bump
28-05-05, 02:48 PM
cheers mate, i just swapped round the wires on the extension that i made up and it solved the problem. i just hadn't thought of that.

nice one mate :wink: