PDA

View Full Version : Would i have to declare...

ANDYRACER
26-05-05, 01:59 AM
If say i bought a nova sr that came with the 3 spoke alloys and i then swapped them for cav gsi wheels. Would i need to declare the cav gsi wheels even though the car came with alloys and all i have done is replaced them with vauxhall wheels?

Chris
26-05-05, 05:27 PM
yes because they are non-standard nova fitting wheels, there were no novas fitted with 15" wheels as standard. Even with an SR you must tell them that it has alloys on as they were an option at the factory, not standard fitted

Chris

ANDYRACER
26-05-05, 05:28 PM
Thanks Chris nice to know. Is there any other add ons from the factory that the insurance company need to be aware of?

boredbloke
27-05-05, 11:17 PM
dude your ment to declare absolutely everything not standard obviously seats covers they really are gona care about so much

with regards to alloys as long as you have locking wheels nuts and they're not worth shed loads of money the insurance will make a note of it and it'll be likely they won't charge ya a penny

Nick
28-05-05, 10:07 PM
Declare everything

that way you come across as being an honest person, and not a Street racing chav. It may even put you in the insurers good-books.

You'l find that by being honest and saying everything, they wont charge you anything for changing interiors, e.t.c

my insure company agreed to not charge me for anything that doesn't aid performance. They havn't charged me for my wheels, Gsi Kit, interior mods, Suspension. However they charged me extra for my brake upgrade

boredbloke
29-05-05, 01:21 PM
..... However they charged me extra for my brake upgrade
only reason they charged you for that is because they assume you want bigger brakes due to excessive speeds

imo they shouldn't really becasue you've actually taken the care to fit them meaning the car is now safer than it was before...

Insurnace companies... :roll:

Jack
29-05-05, 01:55 PM
imo they shouldn't really becasue you've actually taken the care to fit them meaning the car is now safer than it was before...
Its the same with any mechanical upgrade, in fact any bodywork too - a part has been changed, and may not be fitted correctly, or fitted as the manufacturer intended and thus not safe.

We know Nick has fixed his bumpers in place properly, and used enough self tappers on the splitter to keep screwfix in business for the next five years :wink: but I bet there are a whole load of chavs out there who hold their bumpers on with blu-tac and sellotape... unfortunately the insurance companies aren't able to inspect every individual car, so have to tar everyone with the same brush.

Nick
29-05-05, 07:03 PM
We know Nick has fixed his bumpers in place properly, and used enough self tappers on the splitter to keep screwfix in business for the next five years .

i'd say 6 years :-D i must confess, there aren't as many bolts holding my bumper on as there should be :cry:

yes bored-bloke, i know fine well why they charge me for my brakes. as they assume they will make me want to accelerate for longer, and brake later = more chance of an accident.

i don't think the insurance companies realise how bad standard nova brakes are !lol

ANDYRACER
30-05-05, 01:20 AM
Who would you say are the best companies for first time drivers with a few subtle mods such as wheels, loweredexhaust, a bit of smoothing? And also if i put twin 40s on it how badly would you say id get assed rapped?

And also are there companys that dont mind what you do to the outside of your car as long as you tell them that it isnt standard?

Nick
30-05-05, 11:09 AM
not many compnies will charge for a "gsi" kit or some smoothing.

you will get severly raped for putting T40's on a first car i would imagine

And i don't thnk they will be too impressed with your lowered exhaust :-D

Jack
30-05-05, 12:03 PM
lmfao @ lowered exhaust :lol:

If its a 1300 SR with T40s, tell them its a sport :wink:

I've had trouble with CIS before, the agent said non-performance mods (bodykit etc) would not affect my premium. So, I fitted a kit, paid my renewal premium and also gave them a letter detailling what I'd done to the car, adn what the agent had said to cover my own back.

Two weeks later, I get a snotogram come through from CIS saying your car is now a group 6 (originally 4), please pay us ?70 yesterday. after a lot of arguing with CIS and trying to find the number for the underwriter we speak to them (the underwriter) direct and explain the situation. They waived the ?70 this time round but said that apparently the agent shouldn't have told me it woldn't affect the premium, they've been told time and time again on the underwriters stance on modifications etc etc...

Dunno what they're like now though, I cancelled my insurance with them a year later and went with HIC :lol:

ANDYRACER
30-05-05, 02:13 PM
Nick you not into lowered exhausts its wicked man when uve got bare heads in your chaved up nova when the exhaust hits the floor it sparks init man. :lol: