PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 16v differences

benji
26-05-05, 01:10 AM
i am looking into getting a 1.6 16v engine to go in my nova and i don't know what the differences are between the corsas/tigras and the astras.

i know the corsa/tigra engine is the better one but what is it about the astra that makes it worse. i will be fitting twin carbs so any inlet manifold differences will not be a issue.

cheers

ben.

ANDYRACER
26-05-05, 01:55 AM
I believe the early ones that were in the corsa gsi was called the c16xe and the engine that was in the astra/tigra and corsa sport was called the x16xe.

The x16xe is 5bhp down on the c16xe due to having more restrictions.

benji
26-05-05, 07:10 AM
I believe the early ones that were in the corsa gsi was called the c16xe and the engine that was in the astra/tigra and corsa sport was called the x16xe.

The x16xe is 5bhp down on the c16xe due to having more restrictions.

i know what the power of them is. whats the difference to make the restrictions? is it just inlet manifold or is it head and cams

S_Gault
26-05-05, 08:47 AM
only difference is in the head.

if your going to port it properly it wont matter

Steven

Aragorn
26-05-05, 09:08 AM
if im not mistaken the XEL engines in astras have different cams too?

gimme 5 mins and i'll check the EPC

Aragorn
26-05-05, 09:27 AM
ok according to EPC the C and X16XE have the same partnumber for the cylinder head and also use the same valves and cams etc (interestingly they use the same cam for both inlet and exhaust)

im sure the C and X16 are supposed to have different heads so not sure whats going on there

the X16XEL is a different story, it appears to have the same valves as the C/X16XE, but the cams are the same as the X14XE, and the cylinder head is the same as the X14XE

the inlet manifolds are different on all 3 engines

interestingly the head gasket is different on the C16XE compared to the X16XE, i wonder if this is to do with the compression ratio increase from 10.5:1 to 11:1 that the C16XE was supposed to have??

S_Gault
26-05-05, 09:46 AM
the port diameter at the bifurication part of port is smaller in the astra head.

You could be right about head gasket, I change it and wire ring block anyhow and run a fair bit higher than 11:1 on these engines.

Some good info above there man!

Stuart
26-05-05, 09:57 AM
the EPC can be wrong as can the hyanes manual lol.

Whats involved in ringing the block? is it expensive?

S_Gault
26-05-05, 12:35 PM
involves machining a ring in correct place around the bore and installation of a wire ring that sits proud of the block face, this then grips into the head gasket fire ring.

Common on RS500 turbo engines due to cylinder pressures generated. I do it on the 16v engines now as fue is not what it used to be.

Steven