PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know a good way to remove scratches on windows?

ogginz
25-05-05, 11:02 PM
Does anyone know a good way to remove scratches on windows?
I want to tint my front window, but a clip has scratched it quite bad. Does'nt seem to be deep, but would really stand out when the tint is on :( Do any of you know anyway to get rid of it?
Cheers, Olly

Dave
25-05-05, 11:05 PM
front window? do you mean side window?
probably easier to get one from scrappy takes about 5 mins to change them over just got to watch out for etched glass with different number plates on it!

ogginz
25-05-05, 11:15 PM
yer, side window, sorry! Im REALLY tight on cash for about a month. Had MOT last week and tax next week :evil:
I dont even have enough money to buy fuel....

burgo
26-05-05, 12:03 AM
hmmm you have enough money to tint the windows but you dont have a spare ?5 to buy another window :?

ogginz
26-05-05, 12:08 AM
I bought the tint ages ago, just have'nt had the time to do it. An the windows 15 quid!

burgo
26-05-05, 12:10 AM
your scrappy is a rip off merchant then

Jim
26-05-05, 11:20 AM
Sell the tints...there you go, you have some money for fuel now :)

Seriously, I wouldn't attempt it yourself either (unless you do it for a living?) as chances are you won't be able to get it looking perfect and your car as a whole will look worse than if you hadn't tinted it at all.

If you are still wanting to go ahead with the tint, then Meguires do a product to remove scratches from windows. Works very well, but again, it means you have to put your hand in your pocket.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, just my 2 pence worth.

Jim

Dave
26-05-05, 12:40 PM
and the rear window is a serious pain to do as it surves in 2 directions so the film will crinkle so heating of the film is reguired to get it to bend with the window but does ake ages to do, as jim says best off saving for a pro to do it will cost somewhere between 100-200 normally buy you should get some sort of gurantee if the film splits or peals
but if you're determind best way if doing it yourself is to remove the windows from the car, then you can get to all the areas and not have funny looking gaps

andyhayes77
27-05-05, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know a good way to remove scratches on windows?
I want to tint my front window, but a clip has scratched it quite bad. Does'nt seem to be deep, but would really stand out when the tint is on :( Do any of you know anyway to get rid of it?
Cheers, Olly

Scrap yard is the cheaper option you could buy a resin solution but its about ?15 and it looks crap even when the pro's fix it

Budgie
27-05-05, 11:44 AM
I know your tight on cash but i wouldnt tint my own windows, i dont know anyone who has done a tidy job, your always left with bubbles and peeling etc.

Best thing to do, especially when your windows scratched... save up some money and look on ebay... I paid ?160 for my tints from a shop but there was a Full set of tinted glass on there for ?80 buy it now!