PDA

View Full Version : Changing Cam & Lifters... Help!!

Mastermeekon
25-05-05, 06:34 PM
Have fitted a new cam and hydraulic lifters, trying the start the engine and its just turning over, now I've been told this is what happens untill the oil pressure builds up enough to operate the lifters.

Can any one confirm this, and how long is long?

The cam is a 270deg on a nova gte

Cheers

Aragorn
25-05-05, 07:26 PM
take the plugs out and the fuel pump relay out and crank it for 20-30 seconds (in 10 second bursts)

this will allow the engine to turn over faster and therefore produce more oil pressure

your supposed to prime the lifters before fitting them by sticking them in a bucket of clean oil and pumping them a few times

Mastermeekon
25-05-05, 07:36 PM
Cheers, I did try to prime them but they didnt take much oil onboard, anyways I did all eight and got as much oil in as possible.

Some guy over on MIGWeb rerackons I've got the crank and cam out of synch, thoughts?

getlost29
26-05-05, 12:40 AM
that could be a possiblytiy, check ur allingment marks of the crank and pully

S_Gault
26-05-05, 09:08 AM
you would have to be miles out on timing to do that as it wont start due to lack of compression (ie valve is open when piston is rising).

only seen it once and it was 7 teeth out.

Steven

Stuart
26-05-05, 09:59 AM
i rebuild a head after headgasket failiure and the engine wouldnt start. timing was all spot on etc. It turned out that the lifters were too pumped up and locked holding the valves open all the time oops.

S_Gault
26-05-05, 12:27 PM
but the guy above said he bled them of oil