PDA

View Full Version : ICE help......

pickle2000
20-11-01, 06:42 PM
I currently have a Mk1 standard Nova with standard factory speakers in the (dash) front only. I am going to replace my dash (with help from "spankee" ;) ) and would like to know the best way to go about installing a simple ICE.

Would it be OK to replace the standard factory speakers in the front (with some good 10cm ones). I don't think that I can put any speakers into the doors as they are standard doors without any space for speakers. I don't want to put any speaker pods or anything like that in just yet as I want to concentrate on spending my money on the exterior styling of the car (and I am not the most accomplished DIY'er), but still want to listen to some tunes whilst driving... and be able to upgrade at some point in the future.

All suggestions for a nice simple ICE are more than welcome.....

mark12sxi
21-11-01, 01:06 AM
if u r putting the later dash in with removable speaker grills, i would suggest putting very good 4" speakers in with the dash out, i intend to do this also, a set of rocky fosgates will go in or kenwood dual mags, coz u have to take the dash off to get to them really, i am just trying to pluck up the courage to do this too, it would be worth 90quid and are ideal when expanding the system, anything is possible, i got a tv screen in,

pickle2000
21-11-01, 01:03 PM
Cheers for the advice.
I am not quite sure about how to go about fitting the new speakers. Currently there are places for the speakers, but the factory ones fit and twist into place in the cardboard surround (i.e. they are not screwed into anything). Because I haven't taken off my current dash I am not sure if there will be any place to screw the speakers into there. How were you going to fix the speakers in the dash down?

If they are going to be good (and for ?90 they should be!) then it is probably worth it, but I don't think that I can afford that sort of money - probably go for a good pioneer 4" (apparently pioneer speakers have good bass reproduction even on small speakers - if this is wrong then please correct me).

Pickle

mark12sxi
21-11-01, 09:55 PM
there are other speakers u could use, JBL do some fantastic 2 ways and components the 2 ways about 40 quid, i would put them in the original holes, securing them with hot glue and sound proofing stuff, brown bread, putting strips all round the speaker, and put lots of bits of proofing around the dash, u got it easier coz dash is out, i have yet to take mine out,

wot else u planning to do ?

Stuart
22-11-01, 01:40 PM
lol JBL and fantastic in the same sentence LOL what is the world coming to??

Dave Pearce, hmm he mixes like a man with no hands

pickle2000
22-11-01, 02:42 PM
cheers mark12sxi,
Now, I am a complete novice at this, and am not quite sure that I fully understand. Are components simply a mid speaker (say 10cm so that it will fit in the dash) and a tweeter (which can be mounted in the corners on top of the dash) or is that completely incorrect.

What exactly do you mean by "sound proofing stuff", "Brown Bread"?!? When you say put the sound proofing around the dash, where exactly do you think that it would need to be?

Sorry if these questions are completely stupid, just imagine me as someone who has never messed around with cars, or car audio systems before.

After I get my dash plumbed in I think that I am going to get an acoustic parcel shelf and stick some 6x9's in it. Then at a later date, buy an amp and connect up a sub. I think that getting alloys might halt the stereo equipment for a few months though :D
I am really just looking to get a nice, decent sound in my car without it breaking the bank.

Cheers for all of your advice though.

blondie
22-11-01, 03:58 PM
soundproofing is stuff that you stick to your pannels in your car to reduce road noise and prevent vibrations caused by excessive bass. It comes in a few forms...the most expensive stuff is called dynamat it costs loads but works exellently, then there is the copy stuff which is a cheaper alternative. I used something called hyband flashing tape which is found in the roofing section of b+q, Its cheaper than the others and does work well. Its like a big roll of tape. Look on www.vauxnova.co.uk and go to guides ..in there you will see a sound deading guide.

sound proofing around the dash pretty much means that you take out the dash, sound proof behind it and put it back.

You are right about the speakers.

nova_power_y2k
22-12-01, 01:34 PM
ok right i have just got 2 jl audios subs and boxed but there not ported shall i port them or not. there in my mk1 nova in the boot there is not that much space left at all but about 5 to 6 inchs all around it so shall i port them or leave them thanx ;)

Stuart
22-12-01, 06:10 PM
try a new post first. what size are they? what type are they? are they in the same box? provide us with proper info, as the MK of the car makes F all difference!!!

Porting is down to box design and personal preference!!! oh and the type of music you listne to makes a bit of a diff too

"I'm a junky with a monkey"

nova_power_y2k
23-12-01, 11:30 AM
its ok ill will leave them non ported thanx any way;)