PDA

View Full Version : gearbox whine

burgo
23-05-05, 03:07 AM
hmmmm it appears my gearbox has a whine noise i think its only in first and second and these two are also rather hard to select so could it be these syncro's whining??

Stuart
23-05-05, 07:57 AM
the baulk rings could be fecked, they suually make gear selection difficult, but they only tend to go if you hammer the gears hard for a good few months/trackdays.

lots of peeps will say its "input shaft bearings" but since its hard to select a gear then id go with something being up with the selector/baulk rings.

drain the fluid, see if you have any glitter.
Gold = "safeish" but needs sorting soon
silver = ARGGHHHH

burgo
23-05-05, 09:51 AM
hmmmm great fun but theres no way the gearbox has been hammered. i think ill try just checking the level first then if thats ok guess ill have to drain it and see whats what. ie got plenty of spare gearboxes though so not to much of a nightmare

mowgli
24-05-05, 08:39 PM
it could be a driveshaft or the diff, or even a wheel bearing, and at higher speeds you can't hear it, but pulling the end off the box is quite good fun, well it is if you like the smell of gear oil.

Nick
24-05-05, 09:10 PM
hmm i doubt a dodgy wheel bearing would cause the gearbox to be sticky when selecting 1st and 2nd lol.

you can tell a gearbox from a bearing, first of all the sound comes from a very different place.

burgo
25-05-05, 03:26 AM
hmm i doubt a dodgy wheel bearing would cause the gearbox to be sticky when selecting 1st and 2nd lol.

you can tell a gearbox from a bearing, first of all the sound comes from a very different place.exactly, anywho im convinced its the syncro's now anyway so im gonna leave it till it either gives up or i can be assed to change it lol