PDA

View Full Version : gte/gsi fibre glass skirts

notenuffhoursintheday
22-05-05, 12:23 AM
hey guys anyone every fitted the fibre glass gsi skirts and if so please could u tell me how u did it ive got some ideas but want some other ideas

thanks

chris

Dod
22-05-05, 01:04 AM
Go for the ogrigional gear, it'll be stronger and cheaper and they'll look far better.

Mike.
22-05-05, 01:07 AM
just buy the original parts there cheap enough now, theres no gaurante the fibre glass one would fit properly anyway

notenuffhoursintheday
22-05-05, 09:28 AM
already have the fibre glass skirts :(

Dod
23-05-05, 09:47 PM
Flog them to your best mate, that one always works!! But seriously, stick them in the free adds paper. You're bound to get the price of a set of Origional skirts for them.

Mike.
23-05-05, 09:52 PM
or you could bond them on to the sill :lol: :wink:

ade
23-05-05, 11:47 PM
easiest way to mount the fibreglass ones is to make and fasten wooden blocks on to the sill of the car using a counter sunk self tapping screw. Then seal them using something like thompson aquaseal or hamerite (protects them from water). These will then attach to the inside of the fibreglass skirt by applying a payer of tiger seal or Sikaflex (you can get this on ebay - I just bought a tube for ?8) - very strong adhesive. Allow to dry for 24 hours (you'll need to support them whilst they dry. Then run a bead along the top edge and skim it into the groove. The under side can be attached using pot rivets. I'ver never seen fibreglass skirts so am presuming they come in 1 piece. Just check they fit 1st before screwing blocks to your sill!

Also - remember to leave drainage holes on the underside. The last thing you want is a rotton sill.

An alternative way of attaching them - providing the quality is good is to drill a hole in the skirt over the blocks and then counter sink it so you can screw the skirt to the block. You can then skim this over with filler.

Now - Ive never done this (I have real skirts) - but I'm guessing it should be easy enough. Just remember you may need to shape the blocks for the best fit.

Ade