PDA

View Full Version : harry hockly???????????

shy witness
20-05-05, 07:05 PM
wots this 'harry hockly' strengthening kit????
wots it consist of????
has anyone got pictures????

its just im thinking of buildin a valver and want 2 look at all the options of stuff thats available[cost etc]

i know 2 seam weld the engine bay etc -thats not a problem- but would be interested in any other advice.

i dont want 2 be building a shitter thats hanging apart in a month, as ive seen this 2 many times before... and dont really see the point in that

Jonlem
20-05-05, 07:11 PM
Keep your eye on the post of Adam Morans, I'll keep him updated with the pics as the work is done,

That should show you how far you can go with welding the bay,

General welding and strenthening can be enough on valver novas but as Ad's car is going to get used hard (I hope) and the car is in pieces, it only seems sensible to too everything possible to keep it together

shy witness
20-05-05, 07:22 PM
the thing is i dont mind the welding part at all----and am a great believer in making things more than adequate 4 the job-

im just tryin 2 gather the imformation up on as many of the areas as possible

ive already saved a picture of the cutout 4 the alternator and also took note of someones suggestion 4 the heater matrix pipe etc.

any other advice and things 2 watch out for would be greatful as im hoping this will be this years winter project ha ha :D

srs1
20-05-05, 07:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/sean_srs/strengthplatelocations.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/sean_srs/strengthplatekit.jpg

scott.parker
20-05-05, 07:26 PM
Sean that pic is the origanl kit,they dont seam to do the round disks for the drain holes,im geting my mate to make me some,as i will need them soon :D

Scott

srs1
20-05-05, 07:28 PM
i just found the pics somewhere and thought they might help.
as it shows locations of where they go, sort of

scott.parker
20-05-05, 07:30 PM
Yeah i know what you mean mate,i got the box and opend it and though,humm :? ok dont bother :lol:

Scott

shy witness
20-05-05, 07:36 PM
sorry mate- the pictures dont seem 2 be comin up on my pc theres just 2 x's

is probably something im doin wrong as i havent had this that long and only know the basics

would the kit be hard 2 make urself?? is it all just flat plates or r they shaped?curved etc???

cheers guys

shy witness
20-05-05, 09:59 PM
got the pics now fine m8.. cheers :D

boredbloke
20-05-05, 10:02 PM
just a quick note mate,

it's much beter to stitch weld than to seam weld

think of it like opening an envelope once u first open it the rest opens easy
but if the flap was in 26 parts u would need to pick off each one individually

shy witness
20-05-05, 11:15 PM
aye-- ive seen a few done like that and i suppose ur right

cheers m8 :D :D

benji
20-05-05, 11:32 PM
scott, do what i've done, get a hole saw the sawe size as the grommets you remove, drill a hol in abit of wood, then take out the center part of the hole saw, put the wood ontop of a steel sheet, then drill through the hole you just made. cuts them perfect ifyou ar careful

ANDYRACER
21-05-05, 01:09 AM
How much are these strengthing kits? Im goin to get one fitted to my next nova seeing as the bay will be getting resprayed anyway. And how much would be rough quote to have them fitted? And what do you mean about stitch welding and by seem welding?

Thanxs Andy

boredbloke
21-05-05, 10:42 AM
Stich is like at say u weld a bit together then leave a small gap that isn't welded then weld again like stitches that the hospital give ya when u split somink open,

seam welding is welding the whole part

get me or can anyone else explain that better?

srs1
21-05-05, 10:50 AM
the reason behind doing stitch welding is this.
if there's a crack in the metal, it'll only travel to the next bit that has been welded.

if you seem weld it all, the crack will travel all the way to the end of the weld.

so stitch welding it means, you can get a chance to repair the damage done before it gets too bad.

Nick
21-05-05, 12:31 PM
How much are these strengthing kits? Im goin to get one fitted to my next nova seeing as the bay will be getting resprayed anyway. And how much would be rough quote to have them fitted? And what do you mean about stitch welding and by seem welding?

Thanxs Andy

the amount of work involved is really not worth it for a 1.4 as a first car.

fair enough if you're going to be running a tuned XE or LET or something similar.

Dod
21-05-05, 12:35 PM
Would a strengthning kit stop front end spread?

Nick
21-05-05, 12:43 PM
it'l make the body more rigid (depending on how much of the car you weld and strengen) so it'l improve handling, making everything alot tighter.

but as i said, if your not doing it to cope with a huge increase in torque and weight in the bay, or for a rally/track car that's going to get alot of abuse with a smallblock...

then it's really a bit of an overkill for a standard road car. all you need to do is give the bay a work-over and repair any bits that are a bit suspect. - That's all i am planning to do.

ANDYRACER
21-05-05, 01:27 PM
I was only thing about it because my next nova was going to have the bay resprayed and while everything was removed fit the kit for the future for when im able to insure a bigger engine.

Nick
21-05-05, 02:32 PM
you'd probably be better off cleaning it up and then doing the welding and streghtening plates when you actually come to put a bigger engine in.

After all it's just going to deteriorate untill you put the lump in, and you may never get round to doing it.

Stuart
21-05-05, 06:13 PM
i think dans car is a prime example of how to prep a shell.

is inch for inch stitch welded, eg 1 inch of weld, 1 inch gap etc. round every single seam in the bay, round the suspension parts, inside the c0ckpit and allong the inner sills.

no plate kit and it doea get used hard. The shell is something else i tell ya. It handles like its got downforce!!!

Dod
21-05-05, 07:36 PM
Well if it improves handeling and strengthens the car, is it not worth doing? Some might say Coil Overs in a Road car are unnecessary but people still do it, so i say, if you can afford to, then why not? its always one less thing to do.