PDA

View Full Version : I think i just got a job as a labourer?!

dunova
19-05-05, 03:48 PM
:lol: Well i just went down a local site-just to enquire about it!! And i had a chat with the main bloke and he wants me to start ASAP :o
It's just as a summer job (while i'm off uni) and he said pay would prob be about ?35 a day or ?200 a week cash in hand. Sound good or is he trying to get cheap labour??

I suppose i'll have a feck off big sun tan by the end of it, but i'll probably be fooking knackered every day :?

Dpnova
19-05-05, 03:51 PM
whats are you doing

dunova
19-05-05, 03:53 PM
whats are you doing
Eating a chicken and mushroom pot noodle at the moment :!: Why? What you doing?

Dpnova
19-05-05, 03:56 PM
whats it doing......smart arse, im working you lazy student bum

dunova
19-05-05, 04:01 PM
whats it doing......smart a***, im working you lazy student bum
:lol: :lol: oops

Not 100% sure, but basically moving bricks about and sweeping up lol I GET TO DRIVE THE FORKLIFT!!!! I imagine that'll be a lot less fun than i think :? Seems slightly dangerous in there aswell-i know its a building site but it wouldnt surprise me if i was dead by the end of the 1st day :|

The bloke said i was abit posh! :lol: I wish i had more of an accent :lol:

Dpnova
19-05-05, 04:03 PM
u cant of turnt up in nova if he said your posh

dunova
19-05-05, 04:05 PM
Location: Ashton, Bristol Drives: Omega CD Has now sold: Nova GSi

:cry:

I'm not a lazy student bum either! I work my ass off! I'm off atm for my exams thats all.........

Jack
19-05-05, 04:05 PM
I GET TO DRIVE THE FORKLIFT!!!!
definately cheap labour then! Do you know how much those forklift guys get paid?!?!

Somerset accent is bad enough, Brizzle accent is even worse :lol:

Dpnova
19-05-05, 04:07 PM
i dont read there and i havent frequented this site for months..cos u all smell

dunova
19-05-05, 04:08 PM
I GET TO DRIVE THE FORKLIFT!!!!
definately cheap labour then! Do you know how much those forklift guys get paid?!?!

And i haven't got either! :oops: Dont know why, i've been living here for 15 years :!:

I asked if i needed training for the forklift and he said no! :lol:

Should i ask for more? I could prob live with ?200 cash in hand a week tho tbh

Jack
19-05-05, 04:13 PM
I asked if i needed training for the forklift and he said no! :lol:
I reckon you should video your first attempt at driving it :lol:

dunova
19-05-05, 04:17 PM
I imagine it may look something like this........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/tezray/forklift.jpg

Jack
19-05-05, 04:25 PM
http://thrashcar.com/articles/data/132/forklift.jpg

Burnout that forklift! :o

Philsutton
19-05-05, 05:09 PM
burnouts in forklifts are great, you want to whack it in reverse an then slam it into first normally lights the tyres up lol

benji
19-05-05, 05:15 PM
if you get injured whilst driving the forklift you will be fooked. don't drive it with out a licence.

?200 a week isn't bad but it depends how many hours you will be doing. for a flat week it's a fiver an hour, andy more than 40 hours and you will be working for less than minimum wage. the lads who labour for us are normally on around ?7-8 an hour

dunova
19-05-05, 05:22 PM
Well he said its an 8am start and usually finish at 3:30, but can be 4:30 on some days-so about 8 hours average a day-thats about ?4.38 an hour!!! Might have to have a chat with him about that :?

Tbh, i've handed in a CV at my local David Lloyd (gym) and i'd prefer to work there. The numerous FIT women up there is quite a big incentive :D . Big hairy, sweaty men don't really do it for me :o :lol:

Kruger
19-05-05, 06:29 PM
Hes taking the piss out of you, labouring is very hard work, a mate of mine does it usually only 3 days a week and gets in the region of, ?80 - ?100 a day cash in hand, thats doing groundworks, plenty of shovelling and wheelbarrow runs to skips etc.

Theres plenty of eastern european johnny foreigners though willing to work for that sort of wage, and from what I've heard they aint no slackers!

epo
19-05-05, 06:45 PM
he's deffo taking the pish like has been said labouring is vey hard work if you really want to do join an agency
and dont touch the forklift without a liecense if some one got injured whilst you were driving you'd be in serious trouble
this bloke should know that
it all sounds very dodgy to me getting cheap labour off the streets ineffect

J4MES
20-05-05, 01:59 AM
i did this type of work last summer...got paid about 50-60 pound a day...got to drive a forklift as well....boring after about an hour...lol...go work at the gym...sounds much more attractive... :lol: :lol: :lol:

dunova
20-05-05, 09:43 AM
i did this type of work last summer...got paid about 50-60 pound a day...got to drive a forklift as well....boring after about an hour...lol...go work at the gym...sounds much more attractive... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I want to, but its wether or not they offer it to me. I feckin hope they do!!

Sounds like i won't be going back to this bloke then! ?100 a day :o I'd be straight down there for that kind of moolah! So ?35 is starting to sound pretty sh!te now. He's probably trying it on because i'm abit posh :lol:

srs1
20-05-05, 09:43 AM
deffo dont touch the fork lift truck fella.
i am a risk assessor in work, so have to read up on this kind of rubbish.
if you have an accident, you are likely to serve a prison sentence or be heavily fined by the EHO.

they really dont mess around.
plus do you think that this fella is going to back you up and say yes, he was allowd to drive it?
no, he'll stitch you right up.

as epo said. try a agency for some really top boring food packing jobs or night time shelf stacking.
better money and proper legit.

dunova
20-05-05, 10:00 AM
Very true-think i'll avoid going back there, i'd rather not be slammed up :o

Agencies can be abit of a pain in the arse though-my sister used to use them and they messed her about quite abit. Night time shelf stacking-think i'd rather be in the gym lol but money is money i suppose. Never done night shifts before-anyone here do/have done them?

I think food packing might give me suicidal thoughts though :!:

God, jobs suck! I think i'm only at uni to put it off for afew more years........

Stuart
20-05-05, 10:07 AM
"reality is that you?"

if you want decent "safe" money then you need to graft!
When i was at uni i used to do contract temping in the xmas and easter hols then worked on a farm in the summer.

one easter i managed to earn ?800 in 2.5 weeks simply sweeping a factory that makes nose cones for aircraft.

Agencies wont mess you about too much if you know how to deal with them, be firm nag them etc and they will soon realise that your not the one they should fcuk about with.

As said lots of times a forlift requires a license which gives you liability ins, dont drive without it!

Matt2107
20-05-05, 12:58 PM

What about an Oxford accent???

epo
20-05-05, 05:38 PM
the only thing i dont like about agencys is giving them a cut of your hard eaned money it used to really wind me up

all be it yes i know they've sorted you out with a job ect

Alex
20-05-05, 05:45 PM
/\ yes but they charge extra to the company, so you are in fact no worse off. TBH i wouldn't go anywhere/ do anything for ?35 a day.

Stuart
20-05-05, 05:50 PM
i wouldnt go "contracting" for less than ?30 per hour TBH