PDA

View Full Version : 60mm spring grinding

notenuffhoursintheday
17-05-05, 08:55 PM
hey guys i was just wonder if its possible to grind a coil of my springs and if so does anyone know whats the width inebtween each coil cheers

General Baxter
17-05-05, 08:59 PM
DONT BE SILLY

Adam
17-05-05, 09:25 PM
DONT BE SILLY
:lol:

It is possible, but unsafe, and will fail MOT no doubt. Don't bother :wink:

notenuffhoursintheday
17-05-05, 10:47 PM
well i want 80mm springs but daint know where to get them from :D

mattm
17-05-05, 10:52 PM
It aint worth risking your life for 80mm. Just save up and get some ajustable coilovers... lower upto 100mm and will handle shit hot!

ANDYRACER
17-05-05, 11:24 PM
Coilspring in Sheffield make custom springs. But really your best bet is coilovers.

J4MES
18-05-05, 01:07 AM
yep safest and most legal option is coilovers....start saving...lol

dunova
18-05-05, 09:28 AM
Why are coilovers the safest and most legal way to do it?!
a.)They would cost about ?350 miniumum MORE than getting some custom springs made.
b.)They wouldn't just be a straight fit (if you bought actual coilovers for the back) because the rear strut top mount would need strengthening otherwise it'd be dangerous!
c.)Custom coilsprings aren't illegal!! Plently of people have custom springs made to be -80, -90, -100mm etc

IMO you should only fork out the ?500+ on coilovers if you are going to be using them for handling (if you'll be taking your nova round the track), otherwise just get some custom springs made and some shortened shocks (which will probably cost you half of what coilovers would).

Cutting springs isn't a good way to go because they won't sit right in the top and bottom spring plate and then they could just fall out. If you got some -80mm springs from 'custom coilsprings' and you still wanted to go lower, you can send them back and for a small charge they will 'adjust' the springs to make them -90mm, -100mm or whatever you want.