PDA

View Full Version : Phil suttons V8 project

Matt2107
17-05-05, 01:55 PM
Any chance of an update Phil?

Philsutton
17-05-05, 05:39 PM
no update at the moment, not done any for months. Been trying to pass my exams first. Ive got my engine mounts drawn up and the half shafts are waiting to be picked up from engineering shop. Measn for the first time in two years i can sit it back down on 4 wheels :D

benji
17-05-05, 06:48 PM
phil, why didn't you put it in the back?? it would of been done by now. lol

where are you havung the shafts made and how much is it costing you?

Philsutton
17-05-05, 06:52 PM
well ive had the shafts redrilled so i can run vaux 4 stud, couldnt get 5 stud ones i wanted. Not sure on the exact price yet got to go see them. If i ever did it again i would put it in the back. I just like the look of it in the front mmmm

NovaloadedAgain
17-05-05, 08:51 PM
Cant wait to see this! I know its gonna be a show stopper.

benji
17-05-05, 09:58 PM
Cant wait to see this! I know its gonna be a show stopper.

it's not. have you seen how much rust's on the shell?? lol

boredbloke
17-05-05, 10:08 PM
now that would be funny to see this manky rusty nova pull up beside ya then actually pull away from ya before u've had a chance to point and laugh at it!

Stuart
18-05-05, 08:12 AM
its not going to be pretty by any stretch of the imagination. it wont even be "that" fast since the V8 is a rather lazy engine till you play with it properly. but you will be able to hang the arse end out on a regular basis lol

Matt2107
18-05-05, 01:28 PM
by the time you've finished it mate the shell would have rotted away. :P

Jonlem
18-05-05, 02:29 PM
I haven't seen the car in the flesh but I can see from the pics its not all that impressive, really I have more time for your xe'd nova on carbs,

Austin has made atleast a proper attempt at a rwd nova and although I dont know if its on the road yet, its a very good job considering he has done so much of the work himself.

A rover v8 is not a good engine and tbh it fits like crap in there and a lot more time and money needs to be poured into doing it, sadly the amount of money that realistically needs pouring in to do these jobs properly is to the amount that none of us can afford or feel is neccesary to throw at a nova etc.. etc..

well done for tryin, but ideally I'd knock it on teh head before it gets too messy and stings you for loads of cash and wasted time.

Austin_Nova16
18-05-05, 02:58 PM
It really is pritty hard and time-consuming to get every little bit right with a one off.... Every bracket, link, mount etc needs to be re-designed and re-made to make it all work. Things like the pedals and column, and trying to get them to fit in the space there.

TBH, the easy bit is doing all the main chopping and fabrication....its the little bits which take ages!

So far on mine, i've got a custom prop made and just had the exhaust done last weekend. Everything else is my own creation and my own work; these may not be top spec parts, but they are fuctional, and should last.

To do a full on mint job, a workshop and meachine shop would give the best results, where-as working on a driveway or in a cramped garage with basically an angle grinder and welder doesn't make the best job. But it will do.... The cramped conditions were probably the reason I put an angle grinder to my knee and uped it up to the cap. :roll:

anyway, you guys can have a goosee at PV.

Good luck with the project anyway Phil!

Jack
18-05-05, 03:12 PM
I'd say stick with it Phil; Who cares if its not the fastest? Who cares if its not the best looking? At least you had the nuts to see it through :wink:

Its a V8 in a Nova, and IMO thats unique enough as it is.

Dpnova
18-05-05, 03:16 PM
putting a v8 in a nova is more proving a point and doing something different, seeing novas that arent the norm intrests me, id prefer to look at austins most of a show than see 20 standard novas, its only my opinion.

P.S Big Blocks Are Poooooo

Riggy
18-05-05, 05:13 PM
^^^^^^^^ pmsl welcome cack stavros lol

as denny said above phil is doing it to be phil - just totally different and i for 1 cant wait to it it done

Philsutton
18-05-05, 06:58 PM
i think benji hit the nail on the head there pmsl, its going to be rough as fuck. Im not one for making things look nice. Anyway anyone that has heard a V8 will know all its all worth it just for the sound alone. Plus im building this car for me an me only, even though it wont be very quick it'll make me happy

Nick
18-05-05, 07:04 PM
as said, i don't think phil is making this to be pretty, and i'm sure it's never going to be a road car ?

I assure you, he'l draw the attention away from some of the "mint" Xe'd nova's at any show, simply because it's something very different