PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel arch inner skin

benji
15-05-05, 11:04 PM
whats the deal with the inner skin of the rear wheel arch? mine is rotten so i have cut it back but i have been thinking that it is not actually needed. what does it do other than keep shit out of the car? i was thinking of bending it up to meet the outer skine further up, not welding it, just butting up to keep the crap out still. any ideas??

cheers

ben.

Rick Draper
15-05-05, 11:20 PM
Cut it up higher but then weld it to the shell it helps with strenght, like when people just remove the rear arch spot welds the shell can flex a shit load.

benji
15-05-05, 11:38 PM
hmm, that means i have to weld it to the middle of my brand fine new rear 1/4 panels...... best be carefull

jamie gsi16v
15-05-05, 11:38 PM
its what holds the floor and chassis of your car to the outer body of you car, along with the back panne etc. mine on my 2ltr have rotted away and split and it has lost alot of strength so i am re shelling it. it is good to knock them up and weld em to, thats what i have done on my wide arched one for wheel clearance, j

Stuart
16-05-05, 07:56 AM
CP cut the lip off his arches totally and never welded them up. He said there is naff all strength there anyway. as its all in the chassis rails etc.

so do what you want lol. if your caged and turreted (like your doing) then you probably dont need the inner arch appart from keeping dirt out.

Rexy
16-05-05, 04:42 PM
Mot issues?

Saying that I guess not as if your going to completely remove the inner arch nothing can be said :lol:

Get them out, save weight seeing as your having a cage it's all good.

jamie gsi16v
16-05-05, 10:40 PM
thing to remember though is how much dirt is going to start being chucked around and how much quicker the rust will set in? leave em there, they were put there to serve a purpose otherwise they wudnt be there would they?

burgo
16-05-05, 11:51 PM
i say tub them. and just spot weld them onto the outer skin so you dont distort it