PDA

View Full Version : Draining oil... ?

Nick
15-05-05, 10:04 PM
I've picked up a 1.6 from riggy today and have it in my shed.

unfortunatly there is a rather decent carpet in the shed and i have to room to menouvre it outside.

To empty the oil before i start breaking it into peices, i was thinking of using a huge syringe and a pipe down the dipstick tube (i have acsess to plenty of large syringes) How much oil am i likely to beable to extract doing this ?

Also am i right in thinking that breaking the gearbox off wont spill any oil unless i go rolling it around upside down e.t.c ?

To get it to a better place means lugging it up 2 flights of steps that i've had to carry it down lol

nick

Aragorn
15-05-05, 11:21 PM
i got a old basin and sat the engine on it (surprisingly the plastic held the weight of the engine just fine)

undid the sump nut and let it drain out

yes u can split the box with no oil leaking

Stuart
16-05-05, 07:53 AM
the gear oil will leak v fast if it goes on its side, be warned

and WTF are you doing with nice carpet in a shed??!?!?! lol

-Bruce-
16-05-05, 09:18 AM
LOL about the carpet in the shed.

I remember when i was wrestling with an old engine in my garage trying to get oil out of it. Was very difficult as i never had a engine stand or a tray to put it in!! :oops: Oil EVERYWHERE

Bruce

Matt2107
16-05-05, 01:06 PM
(i have acsess to plenty of large syringes)
nick

Slightly worrying.

More worrying if they're the sort of syringes they use to impregnate cows.

Nick
16-05-05, 06:38 PM
lol, no.. i'm not to sure about the carpet, i put it up and the next day my mum suprised me by putting a fridge in there (cool thanks) and a carpet ? hmmm... :? :|

Oh well, i'm going to go get a big tray and i'l try syringe some of it out before hand.

I understand what you mean about the gear oil, as it really isn't very viscous at all

Philsutton
17-05-05, 05:27 PM
there is a rather decent carpet in the shed

sometimes you scare me nick

Donova
17-05-05, 10:55 PM
If the carpet in the shed is that good I,d take the engine in the house! lol :lol:

Chris
17-05-05, 11:25 PM
lol, no.. i'm not to sure about the carpet

Was it not put down to protect what were much loved trees? Assuming the shed is wooden :lol:

Adam
18-05-05, 12:06 AM
lol, no.. i'm not to sure about the carpet

Was it not put down to protect what were much loved trees? Assuming the shed is wooden :lol:
You never know,
it could be one of them environmentally friendly :roll: plastic sheds :wink: :lol:

When i first read the post i was thinking :roll: carpet in the shed :roll: lol
thought it was a typing error.
Obviously not :lol:

J4MES
18-05-05, 01:06 AM
simple::: take the carpet out... :lol: :lol: :lol: