PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel removal tool

sickrabbit
14-05-05, 05:32 PM
right , at long last i obtained another wheel n boss , i also brought a draper removal tool which states fits all vauxhall / opels - it doesnt ( the lugs which should locate in the draw holes are too spaced apart .
Therefore , can anybody please enlighten me which tool to use ,
PLEASE - THE DAMN THING TIGHTER THAN BLAIRS RINGPIECE !!

many thanks .

dan-hipgrave
14-05-05, 05:34 PM
yeh it seems to be luck as to whether it fits or not - some people grind the lugs down to fit, and some people cut one of the legs off completely..

Luckily i have one that fits, and works all the time :P

mikey14sr
14-05-05, 06:26 PM
i made my own, just modify it to work.

My homebrew consists of a piece of 4mm plate, a long M12 nut and bolt, and a pair of old cylinder head bolts ground down to fit with nuts welded on the treaded ends to pull against. Pretty crude but it works every time.

SRlew
14-05-05, 06:35 PM
well i baught a tool to get my steering wheel off about 3months ago, it ended up snapping 2 lugs off of it, so i need to modify it now to get it to fit.

sickrabbit
15-05-05, 01:21 PM
job now done - i cant believe how tight these things are ....i took good advise , ground the thing down ( angle grinders are the best tool to man ) and pulled it off . The new wheel a cheapie, has me concerned tho , as there is no location for the locking washer , i bolted the wheel on nice n tight - is there anything more i can do - saftey cautious like .....?

sickrabbit
16-05-05, 06:57 PM
OR IN OTHER WORDS - WITHOUT THE LOCKING WASHER ( even tho the nuts done up tight ) IS THIS SAFE ??

Nick
16-05-05, 09:02 PM
erm no i wouldn't say it's perticularly safe

After all the job of the washer is to keep it nice and tight. I certainly wouldn't drive mine around without the locking washer on.