PDA

View Full Version : throttle bodies

nova1104
14-05-05, 12:40 PM
does anyone have the prices of sbd throttle body kits or any other good makes.

im thinking of getting some but dont know what to get

which ar ethe best ones to go for? the only thing i can see which might put me off is the power gains are not as much as a turbo for instance.Im in 2 minds what to do

CP
14-05-05, 08:47 PM
Jenvey are the recognised main producers of TB's and they make the majority of those you see retailed. If you have a set of theirs you won't go far wrong. SBD prefer tapered the tapered type but the ordinary parrallel ones are fine as well form what i've seen. As well as this some are made direct to head and some use a manifold depending on engine. The effectiveness of those using a manifold is dependant on the manifold. I had to port mine out (1.4 16V) a lot to make it suitable and match the head and the TB's properly.

peester
15-05-05, 10:32 AM
what engine u running??

j1400
15-05-05, 10:42 AM
Just download the price list off the SBD site, it's pretty steep, but it doesn have every single bit you need for fitting and getting going.
As CP said SBD love flogging tapers, but from all the resutls I've seen parallel's aren't anyworse and are cheaper. Provided you get a matched port angle manifold.
Flowing the head and then the manifold in to the head is essential for gaining the most out of them, pluf you need ot factor in about ?300-400 for mapping aswell, as a base map isn't good enough, it will only get you going.

nova1104
15-05-05, 01:22 PM
what engine u running??

c20xe :D

S_Gault
16-05-05, 09:01 AM
some good advice above!

Jenvey make the taper ones too for SB.

I use direct to head on 2.0XE, otherwise use manifold and taper ones with 8 injectors on my racing engines (1.6XE)

Steven

nova1104
16-05-05, 11:30 AM
ok

cheers guys, taken note :D

S_Gault
16-05-05, 01:13 PM
I can put you a rough spec with map together for you if you are capable of wiring it (im sure you are)

What engien we talking about here?

Steven

Stuart
16-05-05, 03:28 PM
ahem, advertising ;) V sly lol

ps i can make looms if need be ;) but you need to be localish to me.

Dar
17-05-05, 12:02 PM
The SBD kits come with an already mapped MBE system and loom. So the price you pay includes EVERYTHING!

I got the TP208 kit. I fitted myself and I am no mechanic. I have not had one problem with it and the car runs perfect 100% of the time. You get everyting you need and full instructions as well.

If you do decided to get the kits ask them to machine the inlet manifold so that you can run your break servo it cost me an extra ?25.

Aragorn
17-05-05, 12:20 PM
the base maps prvided in the TP and MT kits arent actually that hot

they will get the car running and drive ok but they arent perfect by any means and the engine will be helped a lot by getting it mapped properly

Dar
17-05-05, 12:36 PM
Not according to SBD. I asked them if it was worth getting mine re-mapped once I had it all running and they said no. The MBE system comes pre setup by them. I've put mine on the rollers and its producing about the right BHP for the kit.

Stuart
17-05-05, 12:42 PM
a base map is all it is, ie it needs fine tuning to the specific engine.

Dar
17-05-05, 12:57 PM
My point here is that the base map supplyed by SBD is for that kit. Therefore it is pretty much spot on obviously you could squeeze a few more BHP out of the kit by re-mapping to your specific engine but its not really cost effective. Saying that 'its not that hot' is wrong in my experience (bearing in mind that I have the kit fitted AND I have already asked SBD the re-mapping question).

Now if I had some work done on the head and fitted some new pistons and cams. It WOULD need re-mapping.

nova1104
17-05-05, 01:19 PM
its just a standard c20xe lump.Although my head has now gone f**king porous :(

so buying a coscast one later, fingers crossed

S_Gault
17-05-05, 01:33 PM
I will guarrante any SB kit that I can find more power better emissions and better drivability than the map comes with... so much so that i wont charge if people if i cant find the power.

and as for 208hp... more like 180.

remember SB dont build engines any more..they only sell components

Steven

Dar
17-05-05, 03:03 PM
How much for a remap?
Sounds like you don't like SBD very much. I had mine put on a rolling road and was told it was about 200bhp. But Hey ho.

Aragorn
17-05-05, 03:47 PM
at the mig rr day i attended at dasteks rolling road in fife there were 2 sbd kit powered 20xe's

one was a paralel setup running the MT196kit and it made 180bhp
the other was the TP208 kit and it made 190bhp

both on base maps

the operator said that although full throttle was pretty good and idle was ok the rest of it was pretty shite on both the kits and that both would need a remap to see the best out of the kits,

he also said that u'd be lucky to see 208 even with a remap, more like 195-200ish at best, and maybe 5hp less on the paralels