PDA

View Full Version : Omega brake lights anyone???

dunova
13-05-05, 02:54 PM
........Okay, i fitted a spoiler with an LED brake light to my Omega afew weeks back. To power the spoiler brake light i just cut the wires to the original (passenger side) brake light, put a block connector in and fed power to both of them.

My original problem was that it kept blowing the fuse every 4-5 days. Actually, it kept blowing 2 fuses (1 15w fuse and 1 10w fuse) and my brake lights would stop working and so would my indicators. Anyway, It blew the fuse yesterday, so i replaced the fuses with 5w higher than the originals and it just blew one of them instantly, so i upgraded that one even further to a 25w fuse. Bad idea. My 'brake light' check lit up on my MID. I looked at both bulbs and they seemed fine, but only the drivers side was lighting up when braking. So i bought some new Bosch brake light bulbs, changed them, and still my 'brake light' check comes on and the rear passenger brake doesn't light up. :roll:

I've since disconnected the LED brake light but it just wont work. I've put the original rating fuses back in, disconnected the LED brake light, put new bulbs in, but it just wont work :?

Any ideas as to what i've broken? It surely couldnt have burnt out the brake light wire to the passenger side??? I know i shouldnt have gone from a 15W to a 25W really :oops:

If i get this fixed does anyone know how i can wire up the spoiler brake light without breaking anything? Do i need to wire it up seperately from the original brake lights?

I hate electronics, which probably explains why i only got 41% in my electronics exam lol

Stuart
13-05-05, 04:06 PM
which wires did you splice into? the switched brake live? and a random earth?

you only really need to have the live feed for the LED lights from the switched brake line and then bung the earth line to metal of the body. that should see it working again.

ps this isnt electronics, its electrical ;)

dunova
13-05-05, 04:13 PM
ps this isnt electronics, its electrical ;)

Same thing isn't it?? :lol:

There are 2 wires going to my brake light bulbs and i just shared both of the wires with both of the wires coming from my spoiler.

The problem i've got is that now i've fully disconnected the spoiler brake light, fitted new (original rating) fuses, new brake light bulbs and my passenger side brake light still isn't coming on!!

I'm worried i've burnt something out when i put the fuse ratings up :cry:

you only really need to have the live feed for the LED lights from the switched brake line and then bung the earth line to metal of the body. that should see it working again

I'll try that when its all working again :lol:

dunova
13-05-05, 05:42 PM
Well things just got abit weirder. I've had the voltmeter out and i'm getting a reading at the brake light connector when the brake pedal is pushed, but no light. I've also tried using the working plastic bulb holder (from the drivers side) and plugging it in and that doesnt work either. Also, the reading i got with the voltmeter was 18 volts!! Is that normal? All the fuses are back to what they're supposed to be.

At least i know i haven't burnt out any wiring, but i really cant see why it isnt working (apart from maybe the high voltage), but why would there be a high voltage :?

Ste_Nova
13-05-05, 08:49 PM
check control does weird things.... you need a special box if you add a trailer socket (eg 2 x brake lights) or the check control throws a wobbler.... sounds like the same thing has happend