PDA

View Full Version : Valver conversion engine bay HELP PLEASE

nova_nutta
12-05-05, 07:54 PM
Hi all

im in the middle of building a 20.16v nova and not 100% sure what needs doing with regards to the welding of the engine bay. I have been told many things some say it has to be seem welded some say stitched some say i need strenghting plates some say not can sombody with a valver please let me. I have beem and taken my car to my local engineering place and they said i have to have the whole car stitch welded both sides of all the seems and plates welded to every seem or the car will rip in half PLEASE sombody email me at the address below and help me out as i dont know where to go from here

Many thanks

Jay

burgo
12-05-05, 08:12 PM
you want to seem weld every seem in the engine bay and the plate kit isn't necessary but recommended

Philsutton
12-05-05, 09:00 PM
have beem and taken my car to my local engineering place and they said i have to have the whole car
thats a lie, you only need to strengthen the engine bay not the whole car

-tucny-
12-05-05, 09:07 PM
iv seam welded all the areas in my engine bay and plated the inner archs to the chassis legs coz i had some bits of rust scattered around which will have weekend some parts.

if u were to use the car for rallying then they tend to stitch weld all over the car - not so much to protect the car from ripping but to strengthen it for safety incase you crash or something

Chris
12-05-05, 11:01 PM
as phil has said, you only NEED to stregthen the bay, when a full weld is carried out it is only done usually for competition or people who want really good handling, it makes the car really stiff, if you are building the car to do track days and have the time then do the whole car but it isnt needed. If you dont strengthen the bay then you will more than likely push a strut top into the bonnet or 'rip' the front end off from behind the struts. Dont forget to do the tie-bar mounts either

Chris

Philsutton
13-05-05, 11:01 AM
mine has been seam welded along all the seams in the bay, an to be fair it was about the only thing that protectd my car when i crashed. The welds held up an didnt move or crack.