PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1.8 8 valve carb?

NovaloadedAgain
11-05-05, 07:00 PM
Some random young bloke Pulled up outside my house when I was arriving home in a red SR looking Nova. He called me over & we got chatting about Novas & he sold his punto to buy a fully rebuilt 1.8 Nova off eBay last week.
He paid ?900 for a real minter! & the engine is fully rebuilt too.
I had a drive & its a real beast! wheels spins in 2nd & 3rd. I love it. So much power.

Can somebody tell me-Were all the 1.8 8 valves carb engines?
Also I think he must have 2L engine mounts too?
What BHP would this be likely to be running?

Jack
11-05-05, 07:09 PM
My ex's cav Cesaro had a 1.8 8v but that was only 90bhp and couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding lol

johnny27
11-05-05, 07:32 PM
the engine has prob got some mods done to it. It probaly feels alot nippy in the nova, apart from the light shell or engine mods them engines had alot of torque for their size, which gives alot off down force in the cabin

peester
11-05-05, 09:12 PM
My ex's cav Cesaro had a 1.8 8v but that was only 90bhp and couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding lol

lol. no some 1.8 8v are mpi - look at mk1 astra gte, mk2 cav sri's and mk2 astra sri's. cars that likely to hav had xe's put in them, so 1.8 8v are gonna be cheap. They produce 120bhp in them cars -so yeah might be worth it.
but someone will prob come on here in a min and tell ya to 'why not just stick a 2.0 8v in'?? - and true -they need just the same amount of work - and have up to 130bhp.

NovaloadedAgain
11-05-05, 09:30 PM
Yeah figured it was down to torque & maybe it has some mods. He really didnt know what he'd bought! Lol
I think I will probably go for a 2L 8v SEH in mine to keep the insurance lower then the 16v.
I thought it may have 120ish bhp.

Aragorn
11-05-05, 10:05 PM
really no point fitting a 1.8 tbh

especially a carb one

110bhp i'd imagine if not less and a lot more weight than a std GTE engine

even the 2.0 8v is bordering on a waste of time as its not that much more work to fit the xe and your gaining 20bhp while your there

NovaloadedAgain
11-05-05, 10:15 PM
Yeah never really heard of people fitting a 1.8.
Would it be worth me buying a GSi engine & putting it on carbs? Would that be the equivalent? I really dont want injection.

peester
11-05-05, 11:24 PM
even the 2.0 8v is bordering on a waste of time as its not that much more work to fit the xe and your gaining 20bhp while your there

Yeah but remember 2.0 8v are ten a penny and cheaper to tune too; (sohc) unlike xe's and - its bit different... :D

burgo
11-05-05, 11:27 PM
if your gonna go down the carb route, a 1.8 on carbs would still be rapid

Aragorn
11-05-05, 11:35 PM
carbs are shite old technology

u want injection so stop faffing around and just fit the bloody GTE engine as is

burgo
11-05-05, 11:38 PM
carbs are s**t old technology

u want injection so stop faffing around and just fit the bloody GTE engine as issurely it all depends how much you've got to spend

NovaloadedAgain
12-05-05, 12:13 PM
carbs are s**t old technology

u want injection so stop faffing around and just fit the bloody GTE engine as is

Lol! I know, But I love em. Cant see myself going injection unless it was in favour of an XE.

From what Ive picked up so far, I think in terms of availability of parts etc the GSi engine 1.6 with carbs would be best-as finding 1.8 8 valve parts isnt as easy-Let alone even worth it.
I can also use my exhaust system completely as its all GSi including 4 branch & use my cam too. What do you think?

Philsutton
12-05-05, 12:21 PM
i'd have carbs over injection anyday

NovaloadedAgain
12-05-05, 12:24 PM
Nice one Phil-Was waiting for you to post! Lol 8)