PDA

View Full Version : problem linning up front panel with wing

SRlew
10-05-05, 03:28 PM
right then been swapping my two front wings today, 1 due to rust and the other because my brother crashed it.

the front panel is bent at the bottom where the wing bolts onto it so now the wing sits about 1" or maybe more in front of it, iv tried hammering the front panel back out but had no luck really so should i just leave those two screws out???

i carnt afford a new front panel at the minute as i just baught the wings so any suggestions appreciated.

cheer, lew

-tucny-
10-05-05, 03:37 PM
use a bigger hammer! itll bend back if you crack it with a big heavy thing. if you dont put the two screws at the bottom, the wing with be very flimsey.

SRlew
10-05-05, 05:19 PM
well i got the bigger hammer out and it worked abit.
the top bolt will go on but the bottom one still wont, will it be alright with just the one screw?

cheers, lew

NovaloadedAgain
10-05-05, 08:35 PM
Thats what happened to me before. If you dont repair the front panel-Your bumper probably wont go on properly. My advice would be to try & bend the wing so you can get a big, long bolt through the bottom hole & then clip the bumper on & see how it looks. But its best to try & repair the front if your gonna do it properly :wink:

SRlew
11-05-05, 09:30 AM
well this is what it looked like before i hammerd it, now its just the bottom one, i'll go back out and try again when i get back from my theory test!!

i'll put a pic up what i looks like now i'v hammerd it later.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/srlew/damegedpanel.jpg

cheers

NovaloadedAgain
11-05-05, 10:11 AM
Lol!l Thats exactly how my old Nova looked! You can bend the wing back. Get a big bolt through it & then tighten a nut onto it as much as you can, You wont be able to tighten it completely, But least the wing wont flex etc.
At the moment Id doubt you'd be able to even get the front bumper on.

J4MES
11-05-05, 10:14 AM
:o :o thats a pretty big gap....time for an even bigger hammer me thinks...could try levering it out with a big metal bar...might be worth a go...

NovaloadedAgain
11-05-05, 10:17 AM
That slam panel was near impossible to pull out with a crow bar when I tried. Its worth ago though! Make sure your handbrakes on tight though! :o :lol:

J4MES
11-05-05, 10:19 AM
if you could use a bar and lever it on the floor, you could get some pretty large force on it...

NovaloadedAgain
11-05-05, 10:22 AM
Be careful iy you do that tho! :lol: :wink: But put a paving slab in front of the wheel & lever the bar off that. It may work!
Or get a mate round he drive forward & you reverse back & pull it out! :lol: -Dont do that by the way!

jamie gsi16v
11-05-05, 11:17 AM
if you get one of them small trolley jacks and some spacers you could jack it back out using your wheel as a base, be carefull though, ive done it plenty of times with my stock car.

SRlew
11-05-05, 01:09 PM
J4MES that long bar too lever it out is a good idea, might give that a try,

iv just bin out there again with a big hammer and its looking better, i'll post a pic of it up in a minute.

cheers guys

Mike.
11-05-05, 01:18 PM
hit the part of the panel were the light sits, straighten that bit out first because it would probably push out the top section of the panel

J4MES
11-05-05, 02:16 PM
just be pretty careful you dont want to go bending it in another place...

SRlew
11-05-05, 03:59 PM
right this is what it looks like now.
i bent the bit where the light sits now aswell.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/srlew/wing.jpg

Philsutton
11-05-05, 04:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/skud52/philcrash4.jpg
i had the same problem with mine, just have to get at it with a hammer. That was all i did to line it back up.

SRlew
11-05-05, 08:30 PM
fcuking hell, i bet that took more than just a hammer to put it right!! :lol:

i knew you crashed it but i didnt know it was that bad!

Philsutton
12-05-05, 12:42 PM
cut out most of the front anyway, what was left was easy to bend back. Well maybe not easy but it'll do for now.

NovaloadedAgain
12-05-05, 12:50 PM
Yeah I remember when you posted the pics up! You must have done alot of cutting mate. How much did it cost you to get it driveable again? Have you got it sprayed up yet? Mines still got one black wing from its fight! :(

SRlew
12-05-05, 01:43 PM
^^^^ :lol:
mines got one matt black wing and the other is like an orange red slighty mattalic i think aswell :lol:

how long did it take you to sort yours out then phil?

Mike.
12-05-05, 02:00 PM
the front wings, bonet and tailgate are all primer, doors will be soon so will the rear quaters lol

SRlew
12-05-05, 02:16 PM
:lol: always good.

now iv had the bumpers and wings off i can see my beeing in the scrap in a couple of years due to rust :( :roll:

im going to try and get it all sorted though.

Philsutton
12-05-05, 08:55 PM
it took 4 days to get it back on the road, it had to have a new inner, outer wing, bonnet, slam panel, alloy an tyre, bumper, headlight grill. It all wants painting still though. I have 2-3 days after my exams finish to get it sorted for the first show.

SRlew
12-05-05, 09:19 PM
yer get that done then!!

are you going to leave it with a GSI front bumper now then? and what happend to the side skirt? have you stiil got it to put back on?

Mike.
14-05-05, 09:43 AM
i think the gsi bumper should stay on phils car

lew don't let rust bother you just grind it all out

SRlew
14-05-05, 06:30 PM
yer i suppose i'll be getting the grinder out again then, only feels like iv only just put it away cus i had some rust on the lump thing on the slam panel.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/srlew/slampanelrust.jpg

cheers guys

Philsutton
14-05-05, 09:58 PM
ive got a black mk2 bumper on now, and some paint, so hopefully before shows it should be looking slightly less multicoloured