PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Problem.. oh hell....

Anonymous
26-05-01, 07:43 PM
I'm trying to wire in a new Kenwood tape deck and autochanger control, after my other one woz nicked ( although they left the autochanger and don't appear to have damaged the wiring ). But... the larger brown wire, which I guess is the main supply does not appear to be live when I put a tester on it, although the smaller red wire ( which I reckon is the constant live, for station memory etc) is live. Am I wrong, doing, or have the b**t**ds x-( who pinched my old one done more damage than just taking my original???

Anonymous
27-05-01, 02:49 PM
large brown is probably earth,

Anonymous
28-05-01, 10:26 PM
Brown is allways earth. The fact it is large suggest a large current is required. You are probably correct in saying that red is constant live but if there is a BIG brown there should be a BIG red. Have a look for it. This will be the one that is supplied power when the ignition is on. OK mate?

Anonymous
30-05-01, 06:30 PM
Brown is earth, red is constant live, black is live after ignition. (the red wire is a little to thin for my liking!).:)

Anonymous
30-05-01, 06:36 PM
constant live is only for memory saving so it dont need to supply loads of current, therefore it dont need to be that thick

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
31-05-01, 08:12 PM
Thats funny, `cause the constant live wire on my head unit (Pioneer Minidisk) is fused and a thicker gauge than the rest! The live after ignition is just to tell the unit to turn on. ;)