S_Gault
09-05-05, 03:27 PM
yes.

never been a fan of it thou

Jack
09-05-05, 03:29 PM
According to the Kent Cams website it does

http://www.kentcams.com/search.asp

You can search on there by product number (NVO62) and its brings up all the technical details

zola
09-05-05, 04:39 PM
Cheers for the info mate

zola
09-05-05, 10:06 PM
Ok, this has probably been mentioned before, but which is the best cam to get for the GTE combined with the ported head?

Stuart
10-05-05, 08:48 AM
depends on the application and what intake your using.
if its the std inlet maifold with std ecu then stick to something fairly "gentle" like the AST1 or similar profiled cam

If you ahve std manifold and aftermarket ecu then id say a fairly lairy cam but still nothing too silly unless youve worked the inlet track fully.

T40's then the world is your oyster lol. the kent AST2 turns good results, as does the piper 300ish degree cam.

Im personally giving catcams a while in the 1200, but if it works well in that then it should work really well in a 1600 thats got a bit of torque to back it up.

S_Gault
10-05-05, 08:54 AM
i wouldnt even entertain the cams mentioned above.. all a waste of time, the std 1600 gte cam is nearly as good as those.

with the exception of the BP300.

If you car is not silly high geared on daft sized wheels, then use an AST17. but that means a solid follower

I normally use the AST19 in the racers, so the 17 will pull very well if you use sensible chokes and the head is ported right

Stuart
10-05-05, 09:15 AM
so teh AST2 and piper 300ish is a waste of time? lmao id like to see dan and jim with cams that "arent" a waste of time then lol

CatCams have a decent range and are better speced than UK cam specs. Ive been informed by a bloke in scotland that there was a 20 xe running all the usual TB mods etc on piper solid cams. they put in a set of "same" spec on the data sheet cat cams and the engine produced approx 10% more power and held mor torque for longer.

So im game to test out a 303degree @ 0.01mm lift flat nosed cam with a custom offset to compensate for the head skim.

S_Gault
10-05-05, 10:30 AM
how many engines do you build a year?

Ive tried just about every cam under the sun. and dynoed most of them so ive the data to back up my claims... they dont come from some idiot down the pub who told me this or that.

And i did say the BP300 was a good cam.

And a straight cam swap on an XE isnt straight forward... unless you remap on the dyno by running the same AFR (dta dyno box has a provision for this).. there are just too many variables.

And you cant compare these cams... Piper quote a zero check height.. CAts are different.. so if you come up with the same numbers the cat ones will have a higher spec in reality.

Ive a polar plotter for cams if you want to see the data.

Stuart
10-05-05, 10:36 AM
so the AST2 is a waste of time?

DAN your engine is crap, get a new cam ;)

is it now a pissing contest as to who builds the most engines in a year/month/minute? ive seen good results on rollers (who cares if they are over/undereading if you go back to the same one to get verified changes) from the AST2 and the BP300. or did i dream that i went to these places hmmm twin peaks moment here lol

From the info that is coming from germany and the rest of mainland europe, the cat cams range is far far superior to the UK cams from piper and kent (who as far as i could care, are made in teh same builidng lol)

and its not from a one eyed bloke down the pub with a 6 legged dog :p

zola
10-05-05, 10:41 AM
Cheers for the info mate, you sound like you know your stuff. Like you said there's so many different types of cams out there, just finding the best one to suit my setup. Just to let you know the head was apparently taken off a 1.6 8v rally engine, which has been ported and skimmed. The ecu has also been chipped. I take it the ast17 would be a good upgrade for my setup?

S_Gault
10-05-05, 10:49 AM
no stuart..

my point is that im a pro engine builder with a very proven record.. check out last years british rallycross championship and yet people dont believe me whe i tell them something.

Let me rephrase,.... if you are going to change the cam.. why put in something that isnt a whole lot better than whats there originally when there are better choices to be made.

And ive been using Crane cams for about 10 years..... long before they changed to Cat.

and who says i use off the shelf Piper or kent stuff.. i very often get grinds done to several other profiles such as BDA... actually if you check thru your cat catalogue and rpofiles ome of the cams.. you'll see they are BDA profiles!

Steven

Stuart
10-05-05, 11:08 AM
paulo the AST17 means a solid loftersetup, which is a ballache and expensive. even more so if you dont know what your doing.

id suggest the piper 300 hydraulic cam, as it runs great in jims engine, but that is assuming youve not got the std inlet manifold etc.

roll on affordable high duty capable hydro-pnumatic valvetrains where you can ahve the perfect profile for any RPM/load etc :)

S_Gault
10-05-05, 11:27 AM
bP300 is a good choice

zola
10-05-05, 02:14 PM
How much is the bp300?

Stuart
10-05-05, 02:34 PM
on its own usually about ?150+vat and delivery

cat cams are approx ?190ish (no vat) on their own from a bloke off mig (hes uber helpful)

but id suggest a "kit" as it gives you new lifters, followers the cam lube and timing disc. But im sure ill get flamed for suggesting that lol
Kits are usually ?300ish

S_Gault
10-05-05, 02:46 PM
a big part of what everyone is missing and i forgot to mention is that a reground cam will not give the same rocker geometry as a cam ground on a new blank.. this decreases the amount of lift you have from what you are supposed to have and can also make the follower run off edge.

Anyone who knows thier salt about Ford Pintos will have an idea of what im getting at here. There is hp to be gained here from proper set up of the valve train but most ignore it due to either not knowing about it or how to go about correcting for it.

Prices above are about right

Stuart
10-05-05, 02:54 PM
but if a cam is machined from a "fresh billet" then the base circle should be in the same place as the std cam etc so the gemoetry shouldnt be altered that much, its jsut when you start to have the cams graound after that, that you hit problems? or am i barking up the wrong tree

zola
10-05-05, 03:07 PM
Thanks for your input guys, most appreciated :)

S_Gault
11-05-05, 08:52 AM
if you cut a valve seat it moves the valve up thru the head...

Aragorn
11-05-05, 01:24 PM
so the piper BP300 will work fine on standard bosch jetronic management with the vane AFM?

i was under the impression u couldnt go very wild on std management as the afm caused it to fuck up...

Stuart
11-05-05, 01:43 PM
hence why i asked (atleast twice) what induction system he was using lol

Aragorn
11-05-05, 02:48 PM
my point was that steven didnt

he just said the nvo62 (which is about 275degrees i think) was shite and not worth the money

a mate of mine has a 285 piper in a GTE engine and it really doesnt idle well at all

i think the NVO series are designed with less overlap inmind for injection users

S_Gault
11-05-05, 03:44 PM
you can get them to idle.

Having built several group A 1600s ... they use the std arrangment.

and they will idle and pass MOT on emissions.

There is more than one way to do it too.

Steven

Aragorn
11-05-05, 03:52 PM
i thaught the REAL group a 1600's had modified ecu's and afms?

i assume its not gonna idle at 900rpm so you'd need to up the idle speed by twiddling the throttle stop then resetting the TPS and CO screw?

S_Gault
12-05-05, 08:53 AM
why print real in capital letters.. what are you trying to say?

Why do i really bother trying to educate those that obviously know better

see you at the back of the grid!