PDA

View Full Version : Fracture in alloy

dunova
08-05-05, 12:01 PM
Right, we'll i've seen some alloys i like and they have almost brand new tyres on, but one of the alloys has a small fracture in the alloy. He told me it is repairable and he knows a company that can aluminium weld it for ?25. What i need to know is, will this affect the 'trueness' of the wheel? Or is it dodgy atall? Would it through the balancing of the wheel completely out?

Ta

Nick
08-05-05, 12:04 PM
i think it's quite cheap to weld, and they should be able to get it true, but i doubt it will be 100% perfect.

Can you not buy an additional wheel ? if in doubt i'd say don't bother as it'd be a waste of money in the long run.

Philsutton
08-05-05, 12:06 PM
Can you not buy an additional wheel ?
i had to do this last week, an they dont come cheap when buying them seperate. ?145 thats a fair bit for one wheel

Nick
08-05-05, 12:07 PM
christ that is alot phil..

dunova
08-05-05, 12:08 PM
Well i haven't actually seen them yet, i've just spoke to the bloke on the phone! I've done aluminium welding in secondary school and we didn't have to do it in an oxygen free zone or anything :o

That is a possibility i suppose, hadnt thought of that! Maybe i should go and have a look, then i'll know the extent of the damage.

dunova
08-05-05, 12:09 PM
i had to do this last week, an they dont come cheap when buying them seperate. ?145 thats a fair bit for one wheel
:o

Nick
08-05-05, 12:14 PM
I've done aluminium welding in secondary school and we didn't have to do it in an oxygen free zone or anything :o

yep sorry, my mistake see i've edited the post now. Aluminium welding is pretty basic and cheap to do.

dunova
08-05-05, 12:16 PM
I've done aluminium welding in secondary school and we didn't have to do it in an oxygen free zone or anything :o

yep sorry, my mistake see i've edited the post now. Aluminium welding is pretty basic and cheap to do.
Cool, so the price of welding it shouldn't upset me then, it's just weather they'll be okay after they've been welded i guess :?

I would call and ask the company he told me that do it, but they'll be shut and they'd just say 'yeah they'll be perfect!!' lol

Nick
08-05-05, 12:36 PM
yep they'l tell you anything to get custom.

It'd be better asking advice of someone impartial.

dunova
08-05-05, 03:31 PM
Well i got them, for ?65!! lmao

Slight rim curbing on 3 of them, 3 almost brand new 215/35/18 Falkens, bargain :D

One's got a fracture about 1 inch long, looks easily repairable aswell, well chuffed!