PDA

View Full Version : For the Electronics wizards out there

adam5
29-01-02, 09:58 AM
I brought a bunch of LED's the otherday (bright blue ones of some PC modding site).

I havnt actually got a clue what im gonna do with them just though id have a play and see what I can come up with.

My Question : Can I wire these straight onto a live and earth wire on my car (say via my cigerette lighter wire) or will they melt the LED? I remember when I was at school they made us create a mossive circuit board with resisters on n stuff. do I need to go this far?

Stuart
29-01-02, 10:21 AM
put a 1.2K resistor in series with the led :)

if its dim then go for a 900 Ohm one

Im a Corporate tart :D

big_steve_x
30-01-02, 09:01 AM
also, don't forget that with LEDs one of the pins comming out is - and one is +, you MUST get them the right way round, or you blow the little LED, try one out before you burn the rest!, oh, and, a resistor os very important, otherwise, they'll just explode ;) when you hook em up to 12V.

adam5
30-01-02, 09:49 AM
longest leg is the positive. (just 4 anyone else whose reading this post and doesnt know)

Stuart
30-01-02, 01:31 PM
the flat side is the negative side ;) the resistor is acctually meant to be 1.02K :D

Im a Corporate tart :D

rgv_stu
01-03-02, 09:51 PM
try a 470ohm resistor
and u wont blow it if u put it in the wrong way round it just wont light up. acts as a diode if fitted backwards.
;)

ethelredtheunready
25-03-02, 11:04 AM
Erm, i bought my nova (long live the 1.0! lol) and it had 4 6x9s in the back, only two were connected tho. i wanna connect the other two on the same feed, so do i need a crossover or something similar. two of them are Pioneer 3 way 180 watts and the other two are kenwood 2 way 180 watts (not that this info makes a diff. anyway i spose) :D

nova_power_y2k
17-04-02, 10:31 AM
can some one tell me please how i would wire my amp up 2 a button so when i click this button it will switch my amp on ....thanx