PDA

View Full Version : Election Transport Policies just to help you decide

Spud
05-05-05, 12:30 PM
Labour
Labour are taking the middle ground, with a moderate approach to road-building, but better use of cars. They will be encouraging car-sharing, with the introduction of American-style motorway lanes just for those cars with passengers. Road tolls will be used to lower congestion.

Conservatives
Road transport is one area that could be a big winner for the Conservatives. They promise to review the use of all 6,000 speed cameras in the UK, and have promised to remove all those that have failed to reduce road casualties ? in other words the ones that are there just to earn revenue. They are also looking to raise motorway speed limits to 80mph, ban the installation of speed humps, and speed up road repairs.

Liberal Democrats
At the other end of the scale, the Liberal Democrats are thinking more like the Greens ? they have promised to stop the building of new runways at Stansted and Heathrow, encourage the use of less-polluting cars, and to shift spending from road-building to upgrading the rail network.

-Bruce-
05-05-05, 12:40 PM
There all abit breif mate, but thanks for that.

I know who im voting for.

Bruce

Aragorn
05-05-05, 01:05 PM
not wanting to start a political debate or owt but the tories make me laugh

they are claiming all that extra spending there, new roads, faster repairs etc and they are doing it in every area of govt, yet at the same time are wanting to reduce taxes etc

thats impossible, all that happens is u run the country into the ground and the end result is what we had with the last conservative govt culminating in john major, a totally fucked health service, crap transport, crap roads, crap schools etc

since 1997 labour have made massive improvements, ok there are still issues but theres only so much u can do with limited time and money

lib dems to me are a wasted vote. fair enough their policies sound good, but they aint ever gonna win elections anytime soon and voting for them simply dilutes the voters poll for the other two, and ofcourse their policies are gonna sound good as if they dont get into power they never have to deliver on them

folk seem to have the mentality "i like labour style policies but i dont like blair so im voting libdem as they are quite close" if enough people do that all that ends up happening is the tories win becuase all the tory voters still voted tory, this is especially true in marginal seats.

lets not forget who braught the poll tax to scotland to "test it out" before bringing it into the whole uk, ah yes that'll be Mr Howard then

i dont particularly like blair, but i'll be voting for him as its the best option available.

Jack
05-05-05, 01:30 PM
Hmmm... I'm not allowed to comment on political matters and persuasions, but I will say Aragorn has pretty much said exactly what I'm thinking lol

I like the idea of the lib dems wanting to improve the railways though.

boredbloke
05-05-05, 01:39 PM
Conservatives have my vote, mainly because of drivers etc, they're looking to mass expansion of congestion charging, charging drivers per mile and the rest, soon enough u'll be paying out more than the cars value each month just to keep it on the road!

Funny enough i like blair just don't agree with the tories attitude towards drivers.

Jules
05-05-05, 01:46 PM
Conservatives have my vote, mainly because of drivers etc, they're looking to mass expansion of congestion charging, charging drivers per mile and the rest, soon enough u'll be paying out more than the cars value each month just to keep it on the road!

Funny enough i like blair just don't agree with the tories attitude towards drivers.

So you're voting tory because it's going to cost you more to use your car?

Are you nuts?
:o

And if you like Blair and disagree with the Tories attitude - why would the conservatives get your vote?

Jack
05-05-05, 01:48 PM

Am I reading that wrong, or does that not make much sense...

SRimon
05-05-05, 01:52 PM
it doesnt make sense :lol:

I'm probably going with labour, although the speed camera idea is a swing towards cons

dunova
05-05-05, 02:11 PM
not wanting to start a political debate or owt but the tories make me laugh

they are claiming all that extra spending there, new roads, faster repairs etc and they are doing it in every area of govt, yet at the same time are wanting to reduce taxes etc

thats impossible, all that happens is u run the country into the ground and the end result is what we had with the last conservative govt culminating in john major, a totally fucked health service, crap transport, crap roads, crap schools etc

since 1997 labour have made massive improvements, ok there are still issues but theres only so much u can do with limited time and money

lib dems to me are a wasted vote. fair enough their policies sound good, but they aint ever gonna win elections anytime soon and voting for them simply dilutes the voters poll for the other two, and ofcourse their policies are gonna sound good as if they dont get into power they never have to deliver on them

folk seem to have the mentality "i like labour style policies but i dont like blair so im voting libdem as they are quite close" if enough people do that all that ends up happening is the tories win becuase all the tory voters still voted tory, this is especially true in marginal seats.

lets not forget who braught the poll tax to scotland to "test it out" before bringing it into the whole uk, ah yes that'll be Mr Howard then

i dont particularly like blair, but i'll be voting for him as its the best option available.

But you should vote for the party you believe are the best, not because its 'the lesser of two evils'. I'm voting Lib Dem because i believe their policies are the best. Conservatives are sly and generally support a functionalist way of living, and Blair is generally aweful (putting the war aside) and doesn't listen to what anyone else has to say-even people in his own frickin' party!!

I'm not voting for labout just because i'm scared the Conservatives will get in!! Ffs you should vote for who you believe in. If everyone did then the Lib Dems may have a very strong chance of getting in.