PDA

View Full Version : C.V./ ball joints/ track rod ends..!

blaiz
04-05-05, 08:30 PM
right, since i've had me 1.4SRi the steering has been very vague. by this i mean it likes to wonder and i never really feel in control, which is quite scary at speed..!
The tracking has been done and makes no difference (i kno its more than this)
so reading the trusty haynes made me think track rod ends and ball joints need doing... am i right.. if so how much of a ball ache are these to do.. should anything else be done whilst doing them...?

also to add to the problems i nice rumbling has started and im convinced it the inner C.V joints as its constant and not on full lock, and sounds unlike wheel bearings...
same again, how much of a ball ache and should anything else be done...
also, would different drive shafts be and idea..?!

as much help/suggestions as possible please as i am starting tomorrow mornin and only have until the weekend!!
thanks in advance!

chris

Jim
04-05-05, 08:36 PM
Track rod ends are relativley simple to do provided they aren't stuck solid like mine were, lol. However, I cheated and got a garage to do it as they were that stuck, but i tried (well, CP did, lol)

As for the rumbling, you sure its not the wheel bearing? Why do you think its the inner cv joint?

Different drive shafts are only needed if your sticking in a 2.0 XE I think.

Jim

burgo
04-05-05, 08:46 PM
a dodgy wheel bearing would account for the nasty steering, however you may aswell do the track rod ends and ball joints anyway

BongMong
05-05-05, 02:44 PM
do the ball joints..

my car used to wobble..
i started doing mine, got the drivers side done in about 5mins..
when it came to the otherside, 2 days of trien.. i had to take the steering rack out and take it to the garage..

or if you have a vice, put the steering rack in the vice..

anyway, this improved the handling alot.. then i got new calipers, disks, pads, hoses and fluid "?150" now my handling is spot on.. (apart from the slight drift to the left.. wheel aliment will fix this)

?15/20 a side, let the garage do the balljoints.