PDA

View Full Version : what sort of power gains can i expect???

kev1300sr
04-05-05, 08:11 PM
hi folks. just wondered whats sort of power my 1300 sr has got and will prduce in the near future? firstly am i right in thinking these are roughly 70 bhp standard? at the moment it has a bolt on k&n and a 2.5 inch stainless exhaust from downpipe to backbox ( its a mongoos if that makes any difference ) how much do u all think it sits at just now? i also have a new mild steel janspeed 4 branch in the garage to go on, how much extra will this give? finally i picked up a set of webber twin 40's on saturday morning but they are off a ford engine so i will have to get a manifold, linkages, fuel pump etc. so these won't go on for a while but when they do can i expect a power gain for these also and if so how much?? thanks for your time. Kev

Jim
04-05-05, 08:30 PM
The exhaust and filter will add very little, maybe 5bhp at the maximum. The 40's will add a little more, but really you want to look at changing the head. I don't want to say too much as I don't want to give you the wrong information as to which head is best, I think it's the 1.2 though. Give it a while, some "more technical" minded people will answer.

With the correct modifications you "could" achieve 120bhp with a 1.3 on twin 40's, but that will cost a lot of money. Realistically you will be looking at around 100bhp with head work.

Hope this helps,

Jim

NovaloadedAgain
04-05-05, 09:22 PM
You might not need to change the fuel pump. I have a brand new linkage set for sale too! :wink:
Get the inlet manifold from Demon tweeks for the 40's. Put the 4 branch on aswell, Theres a couple of ponies there.

Then you probably be lookin at around 80-90bhp ish. Head work & a decent cam will be worth a look too

Nick
04-05-05, 09:48 PM
As jim said, the Exhaust and K&N will ad very little, they'le widen your torque band tho...

With Some 40's on it own, it'l be a vast improvment over the IB1 or 2E3 (depends how old the car is) You'd probbly be looking more like 84bhp ish with the 40's

As Jim said the 1.2 head is better as it has larger cathedral shaped ports, With some light headwork (port polish) and a decent cam you could get up to over 90bhp.

After that you'd be looking at some more serious degree of work to get 120bhp, but it could be done.

kev1300sr
04-05-05, 10:23 PM
thnks for your responses, great help :D . i dont want to touch the head or the engine just now as i am waiting for a 1600 engine out my mates gsi when he goes 2l, then i will spent money on head work, cam etc. but with the standard head, bolt on, 4 branch and stainless ( not 40's as they as not ready to go on due to manifold and likages etc.) and how much pony power am i looking at realisticly?? what sort of cars will i be beating, i.e my mates 1.6 16v bravo or a 1.4 16v mg zr. cheers. kev

Nick
04-05-05, 10:44 PM
70ish BHP stock... maybe about 75/76bhp

depends on how good the exhaust system and manifold is. I know Lex Maul qoute 7bhp for their 4 branch manifolds. but they are ?309

Tune the 1.6, With some Decent headwork, cam, 40's, decent exhaust you'd be looking at the good side of 135bhp

S_Gault
05-05-05, 08:52 AM
im sorry to tell the truth guys but id be very surprised if the engine is even making std power with mileage on it.

and 40s and a exhaust will not get you anywhere near 90hp!

whose dyno do yous use.

With a head... yes, and a cam will get you about 90-93bhp

on the rollers i use.. the group A 1300 engines only make 106bhp

Steven

Jack
05-05-05, 09:06 AM
im sorry to tell the truth guys but id be very surprised if the engine is even making std power with mileage on it.
Just what I was thinking... lol

I'd guess the current mods have brought it back up to standard power. My mate in his 306 has a Magnex exhaust and K&N and at a RR a couple of weeks ago it put out standard figures (167bhp).

If its been well serviced and not interstellar mileage then you may be looking at a small increase.

As a guide, the Sports put out about 90bhp (1.3T40). Not sure if that figure is with or without the optional irmscher cam though, hopefully someone else can confirm this..?

Aragorn
05-05-05, 10:52 AM
im certain the 90bhp figure was with the cam

20bhp from 40's alone seems a bit dubious to me

S_Gault
05-05-05, 02:20 PM
http://www.s-g-performance.co.uk/MarkSteed.jpg

just thought id drop that one in there... see if it works.. that was originally a group a 1300... then went to 1400,

its the one i have the dyno results for as posted above

NovaloadedAgain
05-05-05, 02:48 PM
Yep-Sorry was gonna say all depends on the condition of the engine-I doubt if many Novas would make standard figures anymore-All depends on if your engine has been serviced & mileage etc. My mates GSi only just made standard figures a few months back with 40's on.

Snowface
05-05-05, 06:24 PM
i took my 1300 engine about as far as it could go before spending big money. (Look as spec in sig 103bhp.)

1.2 and 1.3 fuel pumps are same. If using Weber or Dellorto carb's then get a regulator.

If you put a 1.4sri head on thats been skimmed a bit and a cam with the 40's you would see 90bhp, maybe more.

kev1300sr
05-05-05, 10:58 PM
thanks for all your help guys. at least i now know rough figures of what it has and can do. cheers. Kev

novaexplod
06-05-05, 06:20 PM
if u wanna go fast get a saxo 1.1 with a motorsport sunstrip and chrome trips 8) pmsl :lol:

S_Gault
06-05-05, 06:49 PM
all i can say is that wee 1400 above regularly beats an SB dev engined 2.0xe corsa...

i dont quote silly numbers, as it makes you look incredibly silly on the race track when you get beat!

I'll quote you results from experience, no fairy tales.

im off to the workshop now.. rant over