PDA

View Full Version : Cam followers

leebo
04-05-05, 12:40 AM
hey, just wondring if there is a difference in them? i was told that the gsi ones had the longest duration but i seen there on a different post that the sr ones are better. i have a 270 degree cam and i am lookin to get new followers (i know i should o bought a kit but a well lol)
cheers lee

NovaloadedAgain
04-05-05, 01:31 AM
Never replaced mine when doing the cam-I havent had no probs yet.

S_Gault
04-05-05, 08:44 AM
I use a different kind of follower on all my customers engines .. its much lighter so takes some load off the valve train, which is important in a racer.

I'll send you a set if you want.. im in NI too

Snowface
04-05-05, 06:48 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/Snowface-85/dat4.jpg

Followers:
Kent at top
1.6 GTE in middle
1.2 at bottom.

S_Gault
05-05-05, 08:44 AM
i use a different one again.. but i tell far too many secrets so im not giving this one away.

Steven

Stuart
05-05-05, 10:21 AM
ive got some that are made of dried weetabix, you know when you leave some in the bowl for long enough they go soooo hard that you need to smash to bowl to get it off lol

in all seriousness, yes a light weight follower is V good, but you also want a slightly weaker sort so if your cambelt does decide to leave the engine and the pistons hit the valves, you atleast shatter the follower and have a chance of not damaging the cam/valves (as much) etc.

im just going to use the std ones that have a ridge down the middle for the revver.

Aragorn
05-05-05, 10:47 AM
the ones in the middle of that pic are std vuax ones

the other 2 are aftermarket

Aragorn
05-05-05, 10:49 AM
and its the camshaft that sets the duration, your 270degree cam is the duration

a follower just sits between the cam lobe and valve at it does the actual pushing of the valve open

S_Gault
05-05-05, 02:05 PM
yea stuart.. i a think it was me who told you that about a year ago.

but youve no excuse if the belt breaks.... if you buzz it and drop an valve the follower will be spat out and not break the cam.. thats the advantage.

also takes a bit of work off the hydralic lifter allowing it it not jack up too early.

Stuart
05-05-05, 03:56 PM
yeah it was you who told me that a year ago lol :)

Snowface
05-05-05, 06:26 PM
the ones in the middle of that pic are std vuax ones

the other 2 are aftermarket

The bottom one is also GM, i've got 2 1.2 heads with these type in. EPC confirms this.

leebo
08-05-05, 01:27 PM
cheers all more stuff to keep me thinkin