PDA

View Full Version : c20xe into nova

doug_sri
03-05-05, 09:44 PM
I am replacing the engine in my c20xe nova with another but fitted it today and its sitting too high, had a look on some forums and looks like i have forgotten to put in a special block to lower the driver side engine mount by 1.5inches but i cant remember taking this off when i took the old engine out the other day. anyone know where I can get one? Also i used to run an F16 box but now i am fitting twin 48s i have decided to stick an F20 in but the linkage looks different so do i need to modify it at all?

any help would be great, thanks

Dar
04-05-05, 10:48 AM
I don't know where you can get a modifyed engine mount. But if your stuck why not just make a plate to lower the mount.

When fitting an F20 box all you need to do is turn the little plasic bit in the fork that comes out of the box the other way i.e. so its out of the fork and not in it. The Nova linkage will then fit to the box perfectly.

Hope this helps

Dar :mrgreen:

doug_sri
04-05-05, 09:47 PM
I don't know where you can get a modifyed engine mount. But if your stuck why not just make a plate to lower the mount.

When fitting an F20 box all you need to do is turn the little plasic bit in the fork that comes out of the box the other way i.e. so its out of the fork and not in it. The Nova linkage will then fit to the box perfectly.

Hope this helps

cheers mate. in the end i had to swap the linkage over from what was on my F16 to the F20 box as the linkage was different and seems to match up fine now. Turns out i hadnt forgotten to put anything in the engine mount to lower the engine so dont know whats going on there. think i will just cut my conversion plate and weld a piece in so it sits lower as the rocker cover is sitting higher than the wing just now. shouldnt be to hard to sort so might have it all done and wired up tomorrow, got someone with a xe nova coming round tomorrow so i can see his engine and where all the pipes go altho his car is standard so a few pipes will be missing with the 48s fitted

Dar
04-05-05, 11:37 PM
No worries. I run TB's so if you need any info on where any of the pipes go just post here and can take piccys etc.
Hope it all goes well :D

S_Gault
05-05-05, 10:03 AM
dont run 48s unless you want very poor emissions on a std engine.. i only use them when running over 240bhp on racing engines.

they just arent needed.

Remember the Opel Lotus single seaters used these engines with 40s and made 175bhp.

why do you need 48s....the choke in the carb will be 42-44mm but the port of the head is about 24mm.

doug_sri
05-05-05, 07:07 PM

Hope this helps

if you could get some pics on where the water pipes go that would be good. I have the radiator all connected up but not sure exactly where the pipe from the header tank goes, also where the heater matrix pipes go to and from. Where does the pipe on the inlet manifold go? its just beside the altenator. Also there was only two wires in my engine bay which were joined from the xe loom to the nova loom near the header tank and headlight, one of these is black and seems to be a constant live and the other is light green and doesnt seem to be live.

cheers

doug_sri
05-05-05, 11:58 PM
think i have worked out what the wires might be, the black one goes to the distributer and the green one is something to do with the rev counter i think. Will hopefully be near to getting is started tomorrow. Another question is where does the wire from the altenator go to? The one to charge the battery, thought it would go to the positive battery terminal but looks to short a cable.

Dar
06-05-05, 10:02 AM
Water pipes, the big black plastic pipe that is connected to the engine has two outlets at the back. One is for the (Looking towards the car from the front) left hand heater matrix pipe and the other is for the headr tank. The other heater matrix pipe goes on to the right hand side of the engine. Where the rad pipe goes in to the plastic pipe.

Im not 100% on the wiring, but looking at mine. The big thick cable that comes from the alternator then to the starter is black on one of my engines and red on the other?? Anyhoo that goes to the battery pos. There is also a smaller black wire with a red stripe. That matches up with the Nova loom. Hang about I have the poxy wiring how to here.

Black - Ignition live
Thick Red - Permanent live
Green - Rev Counter
Brown/Blue - Engine Management light
Brow/yellow and brown/white - Engine Diagnostics
Thick red/blue - Fuel Pump
Blue - Temperature qauge
Thin red/blue - ECU speed sensor

Hope this helps
Dar

doug_sri
06-05-05, 10:14 AM
Water pipes, the big black plastic pipe that is connected to the engine has two outlets at the back. One is for the (Looking towards the car from the front) left hand heater matrix pipe and the other is for the headr tank. The other heater matrix pipe goes on to the right hand side of the engine. Where the rad pipe goes in to the plastic pipe.

Im not 100% on the wiring, but looking at mine. The big thick cable that comes from the alternator then to the starter is black on one of my engines and red on the other?? Anyhoo that goes to the battery pos. There is also a smaller black wire with a red stripe. That matches up with the Nova loom. Hang about I have the poxy wiring how to here.

Black - Ignition live
Thick Red - Permanent live
Green - Rev Counter
Brown/Blue - Engine Management light
Brow/yellow and brown/white - Engine Diagnostics
Thick red/blue - Fuel Pump
Blue - Temperature qauge
Thin red/blue - ECU speed sensor

Hope this helps
Dar

thanks for that, will be starting work on the car again in about an hour so fingers crossed it will be started today but still got alot to do.