PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

focusrs
03-05-05, 05:25 PM
My Nova GTE is overheating, and the fan is not coming on. Any suggestions to what this could be? Thermostat?

Riggy
03-05-05, 05:29 PM
does the fan come on if you put a paper clip on the connectors to the fan

C-S_Cormac
03-05-05, 06:14 PM
Id try and get the fan fixed first m8, it not comming on is more than likely the prob for the overheating..

Riggy
03-05-05, 07:19 PM
the fan wont come on if the thermostat is fucked as it wont open to allow water into the rad and so if the rad water doesnt get warm then the fan wont come on :lol:

Philsutton
03-05-05, 07:34 PM
thats a point i must remember to get a new thermostat for mine, last time i check it some pieces had fallen off it.

Adam
03-05-05, 07:35 PM
Ay sounds like the thermostat is jammed closed.

A-V
03-05-05, 10:16 PM
Mine overheats coz the fan switch has gone. I have a fuse going over the switch connectors to keep the fan on all the time untill I can find the time to get it sorted.

Aragorn
03-05-05, 10:44 PM
explain when it overheats?

after 5 mins?
sitting in traffic?
etc

its either the thermostat is jammed closed so the water isnt reaching the radiator

or the water is reaching the radiator but the fan/fan switch is broken so the afn isnt running to cool it down when sitting in traffic

focusrs
04-05-05, 11:20 PM
the car is a track car. And after say 10 mins of just being run up and down a private road the car overheats. The water is absolutely boiling and no fan kicked on.

Dar
04-05-05, 11:48 PM
For what it costs I would replace the thermostat and the fan switch. I would also fit a switch that allows you to switch the fan on with a light that tells you when the fans are running.

I have done this on mine which is also a trackday car. I usually keep the car running with the fans on when waiting to go out on track and then switch them off once I pull on to the track.

The idea of having a light that tells you when the fans are on and a over-ride switch allows you to check your temp and see if the fans are running and if not you can put them on, or if they are running and the car is overheating you can pull off.

I have put twin 9" fans on the front of my rad that push 1060CFM of air through the rad and this seems to work quite well.

Hope this helps
Dar :mrgreen: