PDA

View Full Version : Which is Better

Bryant
02-05-05, 07:44 PM
Which would i be better off getting, a SRI or a GSI, could you give me the good points and bad point for them and spec, like BHP, thanks

Bryant
02-05-05, 07:45 PM
Or are they both equal and i'm just being stupid

NovaloadedAgain
02-05-05, 08:34 PM
How old are ya mate-Think about insurance first? Would be best to get a GSi really, But you can modify SR's/SRi's to around 100bhp! Depends what you wana do with it.

Bryant
02-05-05, 08:40 PM
Well at the moment i'm 19, will be 20 in July, gonna get it roughly in september when i get 1 years no claims and 1 held licence for one year, i looked and the Insurance on a 1.4i SRI (think 1992) would be roughly ?1087 a year, well i wouldnt mind getting more power out of it but, i've heard that the SRI head gasket goes, how often is.

NovaloadedAgain
02-05-05, 08:44 PM
They do have a little bit of a reputation for going but not that often. Cost ya about ?30 for a headset plus the garage to do the work & skim the head etc. But you could probably get the Nova insured when ya 20yrs old quite easily. Id wait & get the GSi-you start with 95-100bhp as opposed to around 70-80bhp on the SRi.

epo
02-05-05, 08:47 PM
when my head gasket went on my sri once in 3 years of ownership it was replaced by me and me old man working 5pm till 7pm for 3 evenings
wasnt a hard job either

think its a bit of a myth that about them going regurly

Bryant
02-05-05, 08:48 PM
But if i was to properly tune the SRI engine, what sort of BHP will i be looking at, plus what does the GSI have, is it basically the same as the SRI (electic eveything) also does anything do wrong with the GSI, cause i really want a car thats gonna last for quite awhile

Bryant
02-05-05, 08:50 PM
Also how easy is it to get a GSI, i cant find one anywhere

epo
02-05-05, 08:51 PM
tbh you get what you pay for and need to know\see if the cars been looked after propaly and not thrashed within an inch of its life

noavs are good cars
cheap to run\fix

NovaloadedAgain
02-05-05, 08:52 PM
Not sure about all electrics on the SRi's? But the Luxe model has electrics & some have sunroofs-altho mine doesnt. & its 2 insurance groups lower then the SRi.
You could get as much as 120bhp I should image on the 1.4 but that would mean investing alot of money really. The GSi can have upto 160+bhp. Altho again-Lots of money needs spending. All depends on ya plans.

Bryant
02-05-05, 09:01 PM
Ok, cheers, i cant find a GSI model anywhere just SR's and SRI's, r they quite a rare car, i mainly want it for social events like going out with friends (Punto GT Turbo, Peugeot 205 1.4, Peugeot 206 1.1 but really quick, Mini cooper (original) and a Astra 2.0) so think of how hard i have to push my 1.0 to keep up with them, have to stay at 90 on the motorway to Bluewater, but not good for the car , good around town though

Nova-Flair
02-05-05, 10:26 PM
ever thought about just converting everything on your existing car if you have a good shell? just a thought.

personally i would just go for the first good one you come to whether it is a GSI or an SRI. As said before though get it well looked over there are a lot of thrashed ones out there!

Bryant
04-05-05, 06:21 PM
Yeah i did, heard it was too much hassle, plus the mounts arent right, so you have to do something about that, change the gear box and the fuel tank (cause you need a return pipe aparently), i personally dont have the time or anywhere to do this

Jack
04-05-05, 06:45 PM
GSi is insurance group 11, SRi is group 7.

GSi is 100bhp, SRi 84(?)bhp - but bear in mind they'll be abour 14 years old so don't expect book power unless they've been meticulously maintained. Both multipoint injection.

Afaik both have pretty much the same levels of equipment inside; SRi should have red and grey or blue and grey cloth trim; GSi has the sought-after black dash; I think they also have different dial sets?

Both have the same rooftip spoilers; GSi also has different bumpers (SRi bumpers are the same as std mk2 items) and sideskirts.

Cassie-Nova
04-05-05, 07:43 PM
Bryant, there a cruise up at Bluewater now? I used to go to the "Rag It" Cruise every thursday down in Crayford/Dartford until it was closed down. There one down B.Water now?

Jim

Bryant
04-05-05, 07:48 PM
Ok, you do realise i have a 1.0 Nova and live in Downham, maybe later in the year when i get my SRI, thanks for the offer though, what made you right on my post anyway