PDA

View Full Version : dodgy handling!

markgte
01-05-05, 11:21 PM
I am currently running a 1991 gte mark one with gmax suspension lowering the car by 40mm ish and I have put a set of kei racing force ten alloys on with an et42 offset. I know that changing the offset affects the handling some but the car drives poo compared to how it was (I have had the tracking done) does anyone have any suggestions? camber adjustments ? or something along the lines of ? failing that im putting my standard suspension on again to try that. :(

Riggy
01-05-05, 11:43 PM
its nothing to do with the suspension mate its the alloys

you really want et 49 but 45 will be ok

Aragorn
03-05-05, 02:18 PM
in what way has the handling been affected?

perhaps try removing the antiroll bar?

Jack
03-05-05, 03:00 PM
Define "dodgy handling" - Cornering? General ride quality? Rebound?

I had 195/45/15 et38 wheels on 60mm Spax springs and dampers, and handling was much better than my saloon (std suspension setup).

As Aragorn mentioned, removing the arb can be beneficial as this allows a little more body roll and less 'skipping' round corners.

What width are the wheels, and what tyres are you using?

alxlaw
03-05-05, 04:00 PM
it weird i was just thinkin about addin an anti roll bar to ma nova to improve the handeling and then i saw these posts, so do u guys recon there crap or just for that guy, coz my cars on et 39 x 15 on 60 mm drop springs, wud an anti roll bar be better or worse, - i quite like skippin anyway -

Aragorn
03-05-05, 05:10 PM
basically the ARB design on a nova causes understeer earlier than it would normally occur without it

this is its primary goal, if u get understeer with the arb fitted and u lift off you've far more chance of not ending up pointing the wrong way than if u get it understeering without the arb but this means it feels more unsettled when cornering all the time

Dar
05-05-05, 12:04 AM
The point of an anti-roll bar is to limit the ammount of roll you get when cornering. When designing a car they are looking for comfort and as much performance as poss.

So with standard suspension you get a nice ride but not so good handling. Thus the anti-roll bar is put on to give the car less roll through the bends thus better handling.

I would not advise taking the anti-roll bar off unless you have coilovers OR quite stiff suspension.

As an example - I was running the Bilstein Sprintline kit and a front anti-roll bar. The car handled great but I was still getting alot of body roll around the bends. Therefore in my view the anti-roll bar was still needed.

However this year I have fitted coil-overs to the car which can be tuned how you want them. I have taken the front anti-roll bar off of the car now because the suspension needs to run independently, comfort is not in the equation.

So in conclusion if your not running coil-overs I would imagine that you would want to run the front anti-roll bar. However everyone is different and has different driving styles, so by all means try running your car without the front anti-roll bar to see what you think.

markgte
06-05-05, 09:45 PM
the handling is affected in the following ways;
major understeer problem
tram-lining like mad
bouncing when cornering hard at the front or "skipping"

markgte
06-05-05, 09:49 PM
the wheels are et42 15 inch and tyres are 195/45 toyo proxes s1

Jim
06-05-05, 10:41 PM
The tramlining is caused by the lowered susspension. I would have thought the lowered and stiffened susspension will be causing the susspension to be a bit tighter and is probably whats causing the wheels to "bounce". As for the understeer, you could try stiffening the back up a bit more to comensate. Try fitting a strut brace front and back.

Jim