PDA

View Full Version : Spec

Bryant
30-04-05, 03:33 PM
What is the spec of a standard 1.4i SRI, i'm looking into getting one soon, is there any good and bad points about it

david dixon
30-04-05, 04:28 PM
Sri isn't a bad engine at all, carn't think of any really bad points about them, maybe head gaskets now and again, i had 2 sri's and both gaskets went but apart from that they sound. about 78 bhp i think.

Bryant
30-04-05, 04:33 PM
Cool, thanks for that, i have a 1.0 engine at the moment, i like the Nova so much that i wanna get a better one, i'll be getting one when i get a years no claims bonus

Bryant
30-04-05, 04:40 PM
How much does a head gasket cost to replace, are they easy to fit or is that best left to someone who knows what there doing

NovaloadedAgain
30-04-05, 05:00 PM
If you havent got a clue Its not advisable to try yourself first. As for price the headgasket isnt much at all-I think I paid a tenner a few years back for one. Labour could be a couple of hundred-all depend son who you know imo. Cant go wrong with the SRi.
Alternatively-If your 1.0L is a decent shell-Go down the breakers & for about ?50 you can have the engine etc.

Bryant
30-04-05, 05:14 PM
Well i think the shell is in a really good condition, only got tiny bits of rust around the rear arches, i think theres a few bits in the engine bay aswell, but i would prefer the SRI shell, there more sturdy and stronger arent they, well thats what i've heard, i was gonna get the SRI take off the GTE bodykit and my alloys, stick them on it and use my 30mm springs to lower it, then sell the rest of the car as spares on Ebay

NovaloadedAgain
30-04-05, 05:23 PM
But the SRi is a mark 2, I wouldnt put the GTE bumpers on personally. I dont think the SRi shell is any different in terms of strengthening! Id stick with the car you have if its a good one.

david dixon
30-04-05, 05:29 PM
Sri's are double skinned and have gte'gsi strut tops, roll bar etc. sri is what you want.

Bryant
30-04-05, 05:34 PM
I thought so plus i think mines a MK1, G reg 1989, have a look at my pics, Dave, would the GTE body kit look good on it or not i'm now taking peopls opinions, also does anyone know the full spec for one

david dixon
30-04-05, 05:37 PM
looks like a nice car mate but the gte bumpers wont go on to the sri without changing the lights and grill but if it was me i would just put a gsi front bumper on instead of the sri.

Bryant
30-04-05, 05:41 PM
could i take the lights and grill off my Nova at the moment plus do you know the spec of a SRI

david dixon
30-04-05, 05:46 PM
To be honest iv had 2 and can not remember all the spec, some have sun roof, i'm sure they had gsi shocks and springs, f13 gearbox, gsi brakes, electric windows etc.
p.s. if you swap the sri's lights and bumper for the gte's type you will need to change the wings as they have a bigger cut out for the indicators.

Bryant
30-04-05, 05:50 PM
so should just putting 30mm springs straight on be fine, what about taking the wings off mine at the moment or will that require some work to the body to fill gaps or cut parts of it to make it fit

david dixon
30-04-05, 05:54 PM
30mm springs should be fine if your wheels are the correct offset.
if you have both cars together you could swap the wings, lights, grill and bumper straight over. 10mm bolts on the wings, theres 2 on the inside of the car behind your footwell kick panels.

Bryant
30-04-05, 06:04 PM
Those grey panels that you take off to run wires into the door, how will i know if they are correct offset, is there anything on the tyre that would help, sorry but i'm new to doing this, so forgive me if these questions are common knowledge to you.

Snowface
30-04-05, 08:42 PM
an sri engine went for ?130 the other day!

good engines.

Bryant
30-04-05, 10:45 PM
So i've heard, cant wait to try one for myself

Bryant
30-04-05, 11:19 PM
Also as David said "maybe head gaskets now and again", are they really that bad, have often do they go

Bryant
30-04-05, 11:20 PM
Also as David said "maybe head gaskets now and again", are they really that bad, how often do they go