PDA

View Full Version : engine running probs, maybe valves??

johnnynova
29-04-05, 12:46 PM
in january my piston ring went on the 3rd cylinder. blue/back smoke pouring out exhaust and out of crank case breather.

so i got another block (1.4) and transfered my 1.2 head onto that.

engine has been running really well, oil pressure up etc, sounds alot better.

i had a long drive on wednesday, (170miles) car was fine, then felt a bit flat, i checked oil level, was just over minimum so i topped it up to the full level. car felt much better.

on the way back, going along at 80mph, not ragging it at all (had wifey in the car) then lost power in 5th, turned the radio off and engine sounds like only 3 cyclindsers running.

pulled into services. spark plug on 3rd cylinder destroyed( the little bit in the middle) replaced all plugs. still same.

got towed home :-(

AA guy reckons piston ring or valve. im thinking valve because wen i was buring oil before it would have coked up the 3rd cylinder valves in the head. then thats why they got fucked now. if it was da piston ring i would have thought there wud have been loads smoke coming out the exhaust but nuthing like that at all! enigne still runs, but only 3 cylinders.

what do you reckon??

cheers john

sorry for essay, im rubbish at cutting to the chase.

david dixon
29-04-05, 04:19 PM
is it tapping? if so it could be a sticky valve if not it could be a lazy tappet.

S_Gault
03-05-05, 12:46 PM
just take the head off...30 min job on a nova.