PDA

View Full Version : Filling Number Plate Light Hole

Jos
29-04-05, 09:49 AM
Hello,

I'm just about to have my boot flushed, and am going to be making a recess for my plate in my rear bumper.

How can I fill the hole the number plate light leaves?

thanks in advance!

-tucny-
29-04-05, 12:09 PM
iv smoothed one in with fibre glass filler paste before, but it cracked slightly, i think it would have been ok this way if the top surface of the bumper had been rubbed down a bit more giving a better key for the paste.

you could always melt another bit of plastic in place using an 'old' soldering iron and a skimming off filler.

Matt Nova
29-04-05, 05:08 PM
the bloke i used put over the hole but it looked shite could still see where hole was supposed to be not happy

ade
29-04-05, 07:14 PM
sand the lip thats around it away with a sander so its smooth, on the reverse of the bumper stick a piece of reasonably thick plastic card (get it in modst hobby shops) with epoxy resin.

Once hardened, fill the top hole with flexible bumper filler paste or body filler. The area itself is fairly secure and wont be flexed enough for it to crack.

Build it up in layers to avoid unnecessary shrinkage.

Sand and shape and skim with cellulose putty or similar

Ade

Jos
30-04-05, 03:44 PM
there was a sticky here somewhere (no longer?) that gave step-by-step instructions on making a number plate recess....was it unstickied? Anyone got a link?

thanks to all that gave me the methods of filling the hole, appreciated :D

Jos
30-04-05, 05:20 PM
infact, I think I'll go the lazy way and order the light & recess of quadconversions :D