PDA

View Full Version : Track Rod End

-=VanMan=-
29-04-05, 07:44 AM
Basicly one of mine is fucked :roll:

Never done one of these before or even looked into it so i dont have a clue what im doing :?

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what i need to do and what tools I'm going to need?

Any help appreciated

Ste_Nova
29-04-05, 09:48 AM
couple of spanners

an airgun would be preferable to stop it spining

Dar
29-04-05, 10:29 AM
Your main problem is going to be getting it back on in the right place. Its sometimes not as simple as leaving the nut where it is on the bar and putting on the new trackrod end.

However leave the nut where it is. i.e. when you take off the old one just unnip the nut and wind off the trackrod end. Obviously you would have needed to take the other end off first.

Once done compare the old to the new and note any difference between where it threads on to the threaded bar and th upright bit. If there is not difference then you can go ahead and put it back on up to the nut. However if there is not you need to measure the difference and adjust the nut to suit. Or just guess :wink:

Once you have done that you now have the tricky bit. Putting on the other end. Since its a new trackrod end this should be fairly easy. But you will get to a certain point where the nut turns the small bar and dosen't do up any more. You need to try and clamp it down a bit OR just find a way of getting the two bits closer together. I think I used molegrips last time. Anyway once it starts biting again. Your on the home straight.

Once thats done nip up the bold to the tierod end and your done and hopefully you won't need the tracking done.

Hope this helps and sorry for the poor terminology, its bad I know.

Dar

Donova
29-04-05, 10:32 PM
fairly easy job but i would get the tracking done, only needs to be slightly out to knacker your tyres real quick :!:

Matt2107
30-04-05, 12:21 PM
i went to get the tracking done a while ago on my old nova and both track rod ends were completely seized.

I'd advise having a plummers blow lamp on hand just incase they wont come off.

A little heat was the only way to get mine off.

Good luck

mikey14sr
30-04-05, 02:42 PM
most tyre fitters do tracking and are used to replacing rod ends, just get them to do it, but make sure that when its done the rod ends sits level, mot guy failed my astra cos it was twisted.