PDA

View Full Version : Ohm's Sweet Ohm's

Anonymous
27-02-01, 03:14 PM
What are ohms? (in laymans terms) I bought 2 12" Kicker Amps rated 400W at 4ohms. So i need amps that can feed 200W at 4 ohms (am i right). When i've been looking at amps the main wattage they quoted is RMS 2ohms all the 4 ohms figure seem to be half the 2ohms RMS. What are ohms and how do i switch an amp to different ohm levels?

B-) "I don't know karate, but i know kerrraaazy" B-)

Anonymous
27-02-01, 03:57 PM
ohms are what resistance is measured in. with speakers it called impeadence. i recomend reading about it as it would be a stupidly large post from me. but basically if you wire 2 speakers of say 4 ohms on parrallel they will give the impression of 2 ohms. if you put em in series then you would get an 8 ohm figure. With a lower impeadence the amp can chuck out more power for the same voltage!! P=VI (I=V/R) so a smaller resistance = more power per volt :) READ ABOUT IT is the best advice i can give without teaching you A-Level electronics :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I AM CORNHOILIO

Anonymous
27-02-01, 04:04 PM
Cheers cambridge i think i understand a little better now. Just a few less vague questions for you.

So to put it simply the resitance depends on the way the speakers are wired? For the subs above what spec amp should i be looking for? and does bridging affect resistance?

B-) "I don't know karate, but i know kerrraaazy" B-)

Anonymous
27-02-01, 06:06 PM
yeah basically the way they are wired up affects the impeadence.

i would look at a 2 channel 400W 2 ohm stable amp, that can be bridged and thenput yer subs in parrallel. robert is your fathers brother BOOM BOOM BOOM lol :)

bridging dont affect resistance it affects the POWER out :)

I AM CORNHOILIO

Anonymous
27-02-01, 07:43 PM
yeah as cambridge says.
i dont know too much about ICE but isnt it all D.C voltage cambridge? impeadance is only in A.C, no?
just asking cause i aint too sure and it would help me understand ICE a bit more.
cheers
Dave

Anonymous
27-02-01, 09:38 PM
what are you getting at 13srboy???

your repeating what ive sed!!! ac/dc dont matter when it comes to resistance/impeadence!!!

I AM CORNHOILIO

Anonymous
28-02-01, 07:52 PM
i know there the same impeadence/resistance, inductance capaciatance and all that.
I just wrote "what you said" so i could write something to get my question across too.

Anonymous
28-02-01, 08:58 PM
inductance and capacitance are far from the same and even further away from resistance.

I AM CORNHOILIO

Anonymous
02-03-01, 07:25 PM
me thinks cambridge does a bit of electronics or maybe physics?

Anonymous
02-03-01, 07:33 PM
electronics matey!!

im at uni doing automotive electronics engineering BEng Hons :p

I AM CORNHOILIO

Anonymous
02-03-01, 08:27 PM
nice course cambridge so you designing traction control systems yet?

Anonymous
02-03-01, 11:13 PM
that at swansea cambridge or cambridge :-/

Phill Price
http://www.maxxed.co.uk
The Cruisers Hideout

Anonymous
02-03-01, 11:21 PM
unfortunately i am in swansea yes :( traction control comes next year or the year after. i could do a basic one now!!

I AM CORNHOILIO

Anonymous
03-03-01, 11:50 AM
went there last week to see about web development course, nice scenery but boring as hell me thinks

Phill Price
http://www.maxxed.co.uk
The Cruisers Hideout

Anonymous
03-03-01, 01:02 PM
the lecturers on the IT side of things are complete T.wats!!!

the night life is ok. if you have some money. im not saying its expensive, just i have no money lol

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
23-03-01, 01:21 AM
1/R = Conductance...

might be easier to explain things in easier terms using conductance... then again it might just confuse...

Anonymous
23-03-01, 01:56 AM
SHUT IT

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
28-04-01, 03:19 PM
hey cambrige, these mo f**k*rs aint gota clue, im 17 and i know what a f**k*n ohm is, these pups should get it done by a pro, b 4 they fry some chips