PDA

View Full Version : DIY Respray Help!!

Nobby
27-04-05, 01:08 PM
Right ive ordered my paint for my respray, ive oredered 2 litres of flame red, 2 litres of cellulose primer, 5 litres primer thinner and 2 litres of top coat thinner, but the thing is wat do i do with it???like do i primer it 1st then add the thinner or .. . . ?? any help much appreciated!!

-tucny-
27-04-05, 02:55 PM
as a breif guide you need to key the surface you will be painting to (with wet n dry), then prime it (the thinner is mixed with the primer to thin it - hence the name thiners), after you coats of primer, flat it off n apply your colour (top coat) again this will be thinned. then flat off again (if you need to), polish with a suitable cutting compound and then resin polish.

theres far more to the whole process than waht iv just said though.

to be honest if your a total beginer, you may be best off getting further details from the paint supplier, or even getting your self a automotive refinishing book to give you a bit more knolage of the process before you do it.

burgo
27-04-05, 06:29 PM
oh good god, if you dont even know what to do with paint dont think about using it lol

boredbloke
27-04-05, 11:01 PM
^^^ pmsl!!!

at least help him out a little bit dude

Almost like saying if u haven't got a license don't mess with cars....?

burgo
27-04-05, 11:08 PM
no its not at all. he would get a better finish with a can than a gun if he cant even mix it

Nobby
28-04-05, 03:16 PM
as a breif guide you need to key the surface you will be painting to (with wet n dry), then prime it (the thinner is mixed with the primer to thin it - hence the name thiners), after you coats of primer, flat it off n apply your colour (top coat) again this will be thinned. then flat off again (if you need to), polish with a suitable cutting compound and then resin polish.

theres far more to the whole process than waht iv just said though.

to be honest if your a total beginer, you may be best off getting further details from the paint supplier, or even getting your self a automotive refinishing book to give you a bit more knolage of the process before you do it.

cheers m8 but wen u say flat it off wat do u mean by that?? burgo u cud jus try n elp me abit m8 instead of ekin the piss aslong as the paint makers give me the right ratio i ent gona go rong am i, cheers anyway :D

-tucny-
28-04-05, 03:44 PM
you flat off to get rid off un-eveness such as runs or orange peel. Basicly you will fill a clean bucket with luke warm water and add a spot of washing up liquid for lubricant, throw in your wet n dry ( use a range of approx 1000 grit for primer - 1500 or 2000 grit for you top coat) and leave to soak for 15 mins or so. Then thoroughly wet the painted surface and use the wet n dry as you would sand paper only very gently. this flattens off the paint.

some people will say flat off in a straight line rather than a circular motion but i find it makes no difference.

Once youve flatted youre topcoat off it will be dull and full of very fine scratches so you need to polish these out. Iv got a polisher which i use a foam head to compound it up, but it is possible to do it by hand - just harder work. various different brands & types of cutting compound are available which have different strengths of abraision. for cellulose paint you will need a fairly fine compound. this can be applied using a soft wet/damp cloth on a wet surface, working it in using a circular motion. the area will appear to dry up, when this happens leave it to mist over then remove the mist with a clean soft dry cloth. a nice shiney surface will be underneith, if it isnt shiney do it again. then polish with resin polish to seal the surface.

again this is jsut a brief guide, practive on a panel before you do the car.

johnny27
09-05-05, 10:55 PM
One thing though, i def would'nt use the cellouse primer, use a 1k or a 2pac primer, as celluose paint or primer usally reacts with synsetic (sp?) paints, like the base coat or 2pac paint you spraying over (orginal paint.) In which case you'll have to nearly strip all the paint off the car. Plus the 1k or 2k primer will harden and stick better to your car.

johnny27
10-05-05, 12:15 PM
I would'nt myself or advise anyone to use any grade over 320 wet sandpaper for rubbing before the primer, as this gives the primer a better grip. If you need to flat or smooth the body b4 spraying do so with something abit finer, but then go over the car again with 320. Of course its different though for rubbing down the primer after its hard, so you can do so with some fine paper like 1000. Another tip is when you have the car sprayed and are rubbing the topcoat with 1500 wet, rub very very gentlely (sp?) around edge or corners like on the rear arched on the lines of the square bits and the two grooved lines on the bonnet. As there is very little paint on corners and edges. Same goes for polishing as well

Nath
10-05-05, 12:46 PM
nobby my man. let me come and help u do it lol, i resprayed my last nova myself so im sure i can manage yours lol :D

coxie
10-05-05, 02:12 PM
same as above .. personally i wouldnt use cellulose go for a 1 or 2 pk paint,

find it alot easier to paint with and get rite, and correct if u make any mistakes ..

if the panels are all smooth and dentless etc just key the surfaced with SCOTCHBRITE (like a lil brillow pad) saves you wet n dryin the whole of the car ..

however always flat inbetween layers (ie once primers all on leave to dry properly if unbaked for 12 - 24 hours before flatting) then apply top / base coat (if using laquer u should be applying a base coat of colour).

The main thing to make sure u do is buy PANEL WIPE / DEGREASER as any sort of silicone / wax etc left on any part of the car will dispearse your paint ( like wen you did a wax painting in school it splits the paint where wax is ) and in turn naffs up your paint job meaning rite bak to square one ..

Best bet is to eitehr get a book on refinishing (wh smiths and so on should stock these) and learn how to do it .. or practice on a few small panels of scrap b4 considering painting a whole car.

Nobby
10-05-05, 05:13 PM
lol cheers 4 the advive but i gt me paint now n a bodyshop is gna spray it 4 me :D

coxie
10-05-05, 05:29 PM
lol cheers 4 the advive but i gt me paint now n a bodyshop is gna spray it 4 me :D

best bet either way that mate .. let someone esle do it :D lol ..