PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel removal

gaz_master
26-04-05, 07:13 PM
What is the best way to take the steering wheel off without damaging it. I've taken the bolt out of the middle but i can't get the plastic clips out that are still holding it.

jamie gsi16v
26-04-05, 08:24 PM
bolt/clips? you normally take the nut off the end of the steering coloumn n pull like f**k but watch it doesnt pop off n break you nose whilst pulling really hard!

ade
26-04-05, 08:35 PM
theres usually a bolt, a retaining clip then a spring. keeping the nut on one or two threads stops the spring launching at your face (it will come off with a jolt).

It usually takes a fait old yank - I used a tyre iron to remove mine.

Dont whack it with a hammer though as this may damage the column. you could try tapping the centre

Ade

NovaGuy1400SRi
09-05-05, 09:53 PM
U DONT HIT THE CENTRE AS THE STEERING COLUMN IS COLLAPSIBLE IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT!!!

its alright to hit the stering wheel to try and get it off as thats the opposite way from the way the steering column collapses as thats what me and my dad done, but it still didnt come off, so my dad got the drill out and drilled the centre of the steering wheel next to the column to loosen its grip then just hit the steering wheel a bit and it came off easy, caught the splines at a couple of bits with the drill but nothing thats going to cause any harm, plenty more splines to hold the steering wheel :wink:

& it was only the standard steering wheel on the car at the time so i wasnt bothered if it got f**ked. this probably sounds daft but if youre using the steering wheel again dont drill it.

you could also get a 2 way puller to take the steering wheel off, would probably be easier than hitting/drilling it :lol:

hope this helps ya matey :)

[EDIT] just noticed you said you dont want to damage the steering wheel, you'd probably be best off getting a small 2 way puller for it[EDIT/]