PDA

View Full Version : Engine Conversion.. insurance ?

Nick
25-04-05, 07:16 PM
Right, it's getting near to the time when i can start ploughing money into a 1.6 lump and getting it in the car.

I've previously got an "estimate " from Adrian Flux insurance, saying that they will insure me for roughly ?1800, Priveledge have said they'd be able to beat that by roughly ?150. So ?1650, isn't too bad. However i need to ring up within a month of the insurance starting to get a proper qoute.

So, how is the best way to go about doing this ?

1 - the donor car ?
Is it better to say the engine is from a Nova 1.6 GSi, or GTE, or a cav 1.6 ? some info on vauxhalls that shared the same engine would be helpful (however, they've not even asked me this yet ! - jst a 1.6)

2 - Engine broke ?
A broker, advised me to say that "my Cam belt snapped on my current 1.2, and that the only avialable local engine is a 1.6, so i'm doing it to get it running as it's my daily runner" however, i think this will hold no water as the rest of the car is modded, i think that my intention is completly obvious lol !

3 - Am i doing the work ? or Is the car allready converted ?
Should i say i am doing the conversion myself, could give me some credibility as a car enthusiast ?
or should i say i am buying the car, and it's had a 1.6 conversion allready done (car is not in my name at the moment - mums)

4 - Turn it into a fully fledged 1.6, then insure it ?

Should i take it off the road, convert the engine, change the log book, and then get insurance, when they check the reg, it'l come back as a 1.6 Luxe ? or will they notice that something is not right !?

2 months after i will be looking to insure it, i will gain another years driving expirience, but unfortunatly 0NCB due to being on my mums insurance currently.

HIC have already told me that with 1NCB when i am 20 (using this engine for a year) they will insure me for well under 1k. but can't insure me yet because i am 19 with 0NCB

so really, i need a good deal that can tide me over untill next year, when i can go with HIC for cheap.

Currently, i am 19 with 0NCB, and soon to have 2 years driving expirience . (ive allready done online qoutes for a GSi. The 2 years expirience alone knocks it down ?300 )

I am also away at uni next year, so really, the car is only going to get about 5k-8k on it, but they're telling me a limited mileage wont make it cheaper ?

Some advice on a way to get the best deal would be really really appreciated. Sorry about the long post too

Thanks Nick

srs1
25-04-05, 08:55 PM
just phone them and ask when its time.

my car is declared as a 1600, with engine conversion to 2L with a 50% power increase (over the gsi)with the priviledge.

Nick
25-04-05, 09:01 PM
unfortunatly, i'd rather not ask them, as they're obviously going to tell me the best way for them to make the most money.

i'l have to start ringing in a few weeks really so i need to know what's the best way to go about it.

unfortunatly mines going to be nearly a 180% power increase lol !

Jack
26-04-05, 01:13 AM
1 - the donor car ?
GTE & GSi are both gp 11, Cav ranges from 7-9 :wink:

If you had to say it was a nova engine, you'd probably be slightly better off saying its from a GTE as all the quotes I've seen tend to be cheaper for GTE's than GSi's.

2 - Engine broke ?
As you say, could be dubious. 1.2s are just too readily available second hand, or in scrappys and the engines so cheap I don't think that would really hold water.

Phone up and ask before hand. Ask them how they'd prefer you to get it done (i.e. which would give the cheapest policy lol).

Usually they just get the same database as you would if you were getting a quote online - for example, the database usually asks you for Make, Model, then engine size and date. Or it gives you a pre-set list of models (with appropriate dates and engine sizes).

And of course if you did all the modifying AND paperwork first you'd be in a similar situation as you are now, with the car being a 1.2 (according to DVLA) but having a 1.6 engine in.

IMO ltd mileage will make a difference, although I suppose it does vary from company to company. With Admiral I could have saved ?150 limiting my Celica to just 10k miles, or ?200 to ?8k.

Have you tried adding a more experienced driver on as a second driver (keeping yourself as #1)? Sometimes this can take a chunk off the quote.

...Or you could just blag it and tell them its a 1.6 and thats how its always been and you don't know nuffink about no injun convurshun guv :wink: :lol:

Nick
26-04-05, 06:25 PM
lol thanks jack, some of that makes sense...

it's just uselss people telling me loads of "best ways" to do it.

Really, i don't think there is a best way. I think i'l ring up and ask them if they'd prefer me to do the work, or get it done by someone, or buy one allready done ..

then whichever they say is the best idea, i'l go with that.

To be honest, i can't see it doing more than 5k over the next year. which may sound pointless, but hopefully that's going to be 5k at tracks/1/4 miles

boredbloke
03-05-05, 08:36 AM
When ur done mate can you post the results??

I wouldn't mind knowing all the details myself, being a 19 yr old etc

Cheers Mate

Nick
07-05-05, 02:05 PM
yer i will do... i'm starting to crack on with the engine and finishing off the bodywork at the mo...

so it;l be in the next couple of months when the engine can go in !

Jack
07-05-05, 02:32 PM
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/j2_files/nickcar.jpg

:lol:

Nick
07-05-05, 02:35 PM

boredbloke
07-05-05, 04:40 PM
pmsl!!!

powered by nature itself!

Nick
08-05-05, 12:43 PM
pathetic and imature.... honestly

Philsutton
08-05-05, 07:18 PM
lmao, i thought it was funny

ANDYRACER
08-05-05, 07:22 PM
I thought it was quite random. :lol:

Nick
10-05-05, 10:40 PM
you would wouldn't you phil... Sign boy

http://www.postcardworld.co.uk/cards/subject/theatre/lights.jpg

boredbloke
12-05-05, 11:23 PM
nick one to make ya smile

looks like it's 3-0 to the trees...

http://www.funnysnaps.com/cartree1.jpg

burgo
12-05-05, 11:30 PM
nick one to make ya smile

looks like it's 3-0 to the trees...

http://www.funnysnaps.com/cartree1.jpgfuck me :o

Nick
14-05-05, 12:15 PM
where's the rest of it ?

Jack
14-05-05, 12:32 PM
Looks like a photoshop to me...

Kruger
15-05-05, 06:39 PM
I work on the phones at privilege, and in general they dont want your business if your under 25, minimum young driver excess is #3250 and this is usually bumped upto ?400 with the inexperienced driver excess,

Privilege wont insure under 25's with modifications generally unless iit was an optional extra at new.

For those over 25 though, I price up my own 16v XE nova and even with staff discount of 25% it was in the region of ?640, for third party fire and theft, with 6 years no claims, I passed up this offer and stayed with HIC's price of ?315, thankyou please.

Not sure how to make it cheap as possible, but generally adding a partner will make it cheaper, just be a little constructive, develop an imaginary taste for a slightly older woman over 25, lol.

Postcode is one of the main factors for calculating premiums followed by driver age/history and then car.

Engine conversions are just classified as what cc and not what car it originates from, and then we have to select what band of power increase it falls under,eg 0-10%, 11-30% etc

Nick
15-05-05, 10:31 PM
well that's funny ? priveledge have allready said they'l insure me when i'm 19

I think i've got a good postcode, would you beable to check out the "rating" of it for me ?

Manc-Pimp
16-05-05, 01:36 AM
1 - the donor car ?
Is it better to say the engine is from a Nova 1.6 GSi, or GTE, or a cav 1.6 ? some info on vauxhalls that shared the same engine would be helpful (however, they've not even asked me this yet ! - jst a 1.6)

2 - Engine broke ?
A broker, advised me to say that "my Cam belt snapped on my current 1.2, and that the only avialable local engine is a 1.6, so i'm doing it to get it running as it's my daily runner" however, i think this will hold no water as the rest of the car is modded, i think that my intention is completly obvious lol !

Should i say i am doing the conversion myself, could give me some credibility as a car enthusiast ?
or should i say i am buying the car, and it's had a 1.6 conversion allready done (car is not in my name at the moment - mums)

2 months after i will be looking to insure it, i will gain another years driving expirience, but unfortunatly 0NCB due to being on my mums insurance currently.

1. Insurers such as Adrian Flux base insurance on the car the donor engine came from! I suspect the cav is the best bet! Although in an accident the engine would be evident that it isnt from a cav!

2. Shhot that person, they are talking shit!

3. Makes no difference but they may want an engineers report! If they do, PM me as I can do you one!

4. Again, pointless!

NEVER go on your mums insurance, it delays the inevitable insurance arse raping! I went on my own insurance from day one and when I had a C20 XE nova with all things declared it cost me ?850 TPFT @20 years old!

Jack
16-05-05, 09:23 AM
I suspect the cav is the best bet! Although in an accident the engine would be evident that it isnt from a cav!
Yep, because the cav is the lowest insurance groupw out of the three. I've checked with the ABI and insurance companies - including HIC (when they were a little more mod-friendly), Flux and CIS.

Why would it be evident the engine isn't from a cav? They had all four engines as standard - NE, SEH, XE and LET. I would assume the only way to confirm the donor car would be to trace the engine number back and find the associated car chassis number... Although I'd have thought if the donor car's been scrapped this would be nigh on impossible? Surely the DVLA can't keep a record of EVERY engine number and associated chassis number or car?!?

Nick
16-05-05, 06:49 PM
1 - the donor car ?

2 - Engine broke ?

1. Insurers such as Adrian Flux base insurance on the car the donor engine came from! I suspect the cav is the best bet! Although in an accident the engine would be evident that it isnt from a cav!

2. Shhot that person, they are talking s**t!

3. Makes no difference but they may want an engineers report! If they do, PM me as I can do you one!

4. Again, pointless!

NEVER go on your mums insurance, it delays the inevitable insurance a*** raping! I went on my own insurance from day one and when I had a C20 XE nova with all things declared it cost me ?850 TPFT @20 years old!

why on earth would they want an engineers report for a conversion from a 1.2 to a 1.6, fair enough some of the plates in the bay were ever so slightly thicker on the GSi. it's a straight swap. That'd be like asking for an engineers report if you had to put another 1.2 into a 1.2 ?

Will
16-05-05, 06:54 PM
some insurers will ask for a report for ANY CONVERSION even if its going down in engine size.

its to do with the safety aspect of the conversion more than anything.

why dont you just ring and ask these ppl we can only tell you so much teh insurers can give you the real info.

if you reply with "well i cant till im 19" or wotever it is then wait till then ring then post the information you gain till then its a bit pointless wouldnt u say?

Jack
16-05-05, 11:11 PM
some insurers will ask for a report for ANY CONVERSION even if its going down in engine size.

its to do with the safety aspect of the conversion more than anything.

Exactly that, its just so they know its not been held in with rubber bands lol. Ok, we know you'd never do that, but the insurance company don't, they're just covering their backs.

The insurance company just want to know a good job has been done and bits won't drop off and cause accidents - which they'll have to pay out for.

Kruger
17-05-05, 11:55 AM
You've also gotto remember that some people you'll speak to at insurance companies havent got a clue what an engine conversion is (I know a few where I work ), so will ask for an engineers report. :(

Will
18-05-05, 10:07 AM
You've also gotto remember that some people you'll speak to at insurance companies havent got a clue what an engine conversion is (I know a few where I work ), so will ask for an engineers report. :(

they shouldnt really work insuring modified cars then :wink: