PDA

View Full Version : New Head gaskets

j_Burf
25-04-05, 06:46 PM
I'm gunna be changing my head gasket on my 1.2 soon.

I think i can pretty much figure out how to do it from haynes, but does anyone know of any good web guide for it? Or any first hand tips?

Stuart
25-04-05, 06:49 PM
they haynes manual covers it well

the web dosent solve all problems like some magical beast lol

paulwar
25-04-05, 07:04 PM
I've just done mine.

If your going to wash the <edit> engine bay</edit> while head is off "DON'T DO IT"

YOU WILL get water down the oil holes and have to train oil / change oil filter to get rid of the water

The only real problem i had was plugging the spark leads back in. Some how got it mixed up. Also don't drop anything down the exhuast pipe cause your never getting it out again.

Urm thats about it. I change spark plugs / water pump / coil cause i managed to short the cable out :p

Oh also torgue rench is needed and you will need some gasket maker thing. Its in the haynes manual near the end of the buiild. ITs to seal between the head and the cam covering thing.

Thats all

:)

Snowface
25-04-05, 09:18 PM
shouldn't need anyting gasket wise between the head and cam cover. Both surfaces shouls be flat, (bit of sand paper and elbow grease). But if in doubt then some silocone or instand gasket may do.

Aragorn
25-04-05, 11:26 PM
haynes specifies a sealant between those 2 parts otherwise they will start seeping oil even if they are perfectly flat (which they should be for perfect cam operation)

_JH_
27-04-05, 10:24 PM
^agreed. of course you need a sealant there. and what ever you do DON'T start sanding the surfaces down, they'll end up uneven. clean with a gasket scraper or carefully with a wood chisel, only if needed.