PDA

View Full Version : carbs (urgent)

novatracker
24-04-05, 06:17 PM
alright lads iv got a problem when i changed my head gasket i broke the t-peace on the fuel pipe for my webber 32/34 i had ta put the standerd arb back on but its running badly and canny be bothered with it what am after is a place where i can get the correct t-peace with the correct amount of flow to the carb and the tank any idears most welcome thanks lad.

johnnynova
24-04-05, 06:53 PM
get a fuel pressure regulator mate, that way you acuratle can give the weber 3.5 psi

i picked up one from my local carb dealer for $23.

beter thn t-piece

novatracker
24-04-05, 11:11 PM
ill try that as iv got a lot of stuff orderd from tweeks on friday (konis, goodridge and a strut brace)

thanks for that

Aragorn
24-04-05, 11:58 PM
i dont get this at all

u cant regulate fuel pressure without a tank return unless the pump has some kinda internal bypass type system

imagine the scenario

pump is pushing fuel at a set rate, in the standard setup this fills float chambers until they close at which point the fuel is directed back to the tank

his current setup: pump is unchanged, fuel still fills floats at set rate but now instead of the carb sending fuel to the tank once the float valves close the fuel flows down the T-Piece back to the tank instead

your suggested setup: pump is still unchanged, fuel still fills floats at the rate youve set on your nice shiney regulator and then the floats close, now at this point the regulator is sustaining 3psi (for example) on the carb side, and the pump is still blasting fuel at the pump side of it, where does the rest of the fuel go? it cant go thru the regulator, it cant get back to the tank as theres no return, it cant go anywhere... seems to me that somethings gonna fail and thats either gonna be the pump or the regulator

S_Gault
25-04-05, 10:19 AM
have you never heard the pump slow after it primes?

thats how they work.

only one that needs a proprietry return is an injection car

Stuart
25-04-05, 12:28 PM
im 99% sure dan dosent use a return on his carb setup either, and has no probs on the redtop.

i shall be running a similar setup too.

Snowface
25-04-05, 09:14 PM
my regulator doesn't use the return. My return pipe is blocked off out the way.

Aragorn
25-04-05, 11:24 PM
fair enough then - the mechanical pumps must simply stop pushing more fuel thru once they reach a certain pressure

i know an injection pump would keep trying to build pressure then hit lockout which isnt a good thing