PDA

View Full Version : Buckled alloys :(

dunova
23-04-05, 02:29 PM
Just found out my alloys are slightly buckled :cry:
They put them on the balacing machine and you could clearly see that they're not rotating as ROUND wheels should!!! Any suggestions as to fixing them? Or anyone that will re-shape them for me and what cost?

Any info is mucho's appreciated

Matt Nova
23-04-05, 04:35 PM
companies that refurb wheels can do them mate

there was a lad near me who got one of his done after bending it came back good as new

just look for alloy wheel specialsits

dunova
23-04-05, 05:06 PM
Cheers mate. Just been to a bloke and he supposedly straightened out the affending wheel, although it feels exactly the same :roll: Good job he didnt charge me anything.

They all look perfectly round, but i'm getting some shaking at certain speeds, such as 30-35mph and 80mph and i didnt get it with my old alloys on :?

Pain in the arse, because they look quality but the shaking is pi55ing me off :!:

Matt Nova
23-04-05, 07:02 PM
did it balance ok afterwards if its still shaking mate afterwards might need checking again

mikey14sr
23-04-05, 08:01 PM
my last set of cavvy sri rims were like this, to be honest, once they've gone out of shape they're pretty much knackered. the bigger the rims are the worse it gets aswell.

dunova
23-04-05, 09:25 PM
did it balance ok afterwards if its still shaking mate afterwards might need checking again

Haven't had them balanced yet. He told me to get the tracking done aswell, but this wouldn't cause vibration would it? Its only subtle so i could probably live with it, but would prefer it if it wasn't there!

Thanks for your help, its been abit of a nightmare tbh, paid ?315 for them then found out 1 of the tyres was dead and now this!! They look pretty much perfect though, i'm surprised its buckled because you couldn't tell by looking at it.

Jack
24-04-05, 01:13 AM
Fox (and the likes of Wolfrace etc) are made from very very soft materials and often buckle, even when just hitting a kerb. If you want strong alloys get OZ 8)

benji
24-04-05, 09:52 AM
oz arnt strong, they are light weight.

Nick
24-04-05, 02:52 PM
you can get them trued, look in the yellow pages for Alloy wheel refurbishers.

your looking at ?45 per wheel, and that' for them to be Trued, (pressed) refurbished and sprayed.

however, if someone's tried to true them, they can't be pressed then. As the Pressing machine they use can only press them from a bent state - back to a normal state. if they've been attempted to be straightened, then they wont press back into a normal state.

I hope that make sense, that's what i was told when i enquired about my old fox 5 spokes (co-indcidence eh?)

novaexplod
27-04-05, 10:23 PM
once the has bent uve basically stretched the material and because i work with metals at work i cant see how it can be as good as new when it comes to running true, it may look true but if clocked it probably wont be brilliant as u cant do much once the metal is stressed other than melt it down n make a new one :lol: