PDA

View Full Version : Car not starting

paulwar
23-04-05, 12:21 PM
Hey Guys,

I've just replaced the head gasket so have rebuilt the head and all back together. I've turned it over for about 5-10 mins for the oil to get into the hydrlic lifters. Now the car STILL doesn't start. When you turn it over with the chock out abit so it can get some fuel it goes to start but then doesn't it just back fires through the carb. I've spoken to a Mechanic and he said its the timming. He comes round and had a quick look and said the timming on the bottom was ok and the head was set at number 1. He said try turning the dizzy which i've done and turn it clock wise and it stops firing if you turn it anti clock wise it just does the same. The mechanic said he can't see anything wrong with it. But it don't start. Any ideas at all? Reason I ask is cause the mechanic isn't around till monday to check it over. He did come round but had to shoot off and do another breakdown job. I can't bare to wait that long to see if the fucker starts.

Hope you lot can help cheers :)

david dixon
23-04-05, 06:24 PM
ther isn't a wire missing from the distributer is there? cos it just sounded like it needed advancing to me, dont use to much choke as it will flood the engine.

paulwar
24-04-05, 12:47 AM
nope from what i can see all wires are ok for the dizzy. You have just 2 wires brown and i think white going to the coil plug which are there.

Snowface
24-04-05, 09:39 AM
are the HT leads in the right order?

paulwar
24-04-05, 07:09 PM
yup they was. The mechanic come round played witht he dizzy plugged something and it seemed to work.

:(

Aragorn
25-04-05, 12:06 AM
describe the order of the leads on the dizzy cap and which cylinders they goto starting at top rear and going clockwise

Stuart
25-04-05, 08:53 AM
had the same prob with a head gasket job i did a while back. it turns out the hydraulic lifters were a bit too full and they were holding the valves open on the compression stroke thus not compressing, and not starting.

it was sent to a garage to ahve that sorted as i was totally stumped. so im not sure how it was cured bit the head deffo didnt come off again!

paulwar
25-04-05, 10:49 AM
hehe

I could have got a mechanic of mine to do it. But thought it would be fun to do it. How wrong was I. I'm never doing it again either