PDA

View Full Version : Bad news, My Engine (Update)

krobinson
22-04-05, 09:45 PM
About a month ago, i fitted two K&N Filters to my Twin 40 Webber carbs, this was to stop anything being sucked into the engine, as they create a huge vacum at 7k Rev's.

Unfortunatly one of the bolts which holds the trumpets on, which was taken off to fit the 40's, must not have been fully tightened. It wobbled loose, fell inside the filter, a little bracket also wobbled free and got sucked into the engine, the bolt didnt. I stopped it pretty much instantly. Found out the problem, and had the car trailered up to Steven Gault.

The piston took a battering, so did the head. The head was fixed, and we thought the piston would be fine, however on further inspection, the piston was not fine, and neither was the bore.

I go to germany in 3 weeks time, and the engine will not be ready, as i wont put added pressure on steven at race season, and i want the engine back to full standard.

I am in the process of aquireing a spare engine to fit so i dont miss out on the oppertunity of this trip, and should have it back home for the weekend.

I'm totally guttedthat i wont get to test the limits of my own engine at the famous Nurburgring, but i'm safe in the knowlage that when i get back, i will be able to refit my Mint 1300, ready for a good summer.

Just like to Thank Steven Gault for being really supportive, and being so understanding of everything. Cheers

And here's a pic of the little basta*d that caused all this hassle, its the actual tiny bracket that holds one of the trumpets on!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/keithrobinson/littlebugger1.jpg

Keith

Adam
22-04-05, 09:50 PM
Sorry to hear that mate :|

Snowface
22-04-05, 09:56 PM
your trumpets are the push-in type or something.

Some Webers and all dellorto's have bolts that hold them on. can't see where that bracket would be used?

krobinson
22-04-05, 10:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/keithrobinson/carb12.jpg

Keith

shy witness
22-04-05, 11:23 PM
that'd be an absolutely ghastly experience my friend--------- id end up hittin the drink hard 4 a nite or 2 over that :( :( but sure u'll just bring it back- harder,faster and stronger than ever--------and probably cleaner

m8 ur car is absolutely spotless---- i think mines a bit of a skip in comparison------------- :lol: :lol: :lol: i think its time i built a valver

Jack
23-04-05, 12:11 AM
Sorry to hear that Keith... that bracket looks pretty mangled! At least the engine is repairable though.

Tis a shame not to be able to have it for the trip to Germany :cry:

What engine do you have lined up as spare?

krobinson
23-04-05, 07:51 AM
I have a standard 1400 square port head'd SR engine, with 40's, 285 cam and vernier. It will do the job until my own engine is repaired.

Keith

ANDYRACER
23-04-05, 11:35 AM
Unlucky mate. Seems like everyone is having problems right before the trip.
And your back up engine doesn't seem that bad i thought it would be a standard 1.3/4, but at least its tweaked a bit.

krobinson
23-04-05, 01:13 PM
Yeah, its a standard engine with some extras. It came out of an astra estate, and only did about 40k miles before these bits were added. Its been setup on the rolling road too, so will be reliable.

Keith

Matt Nova
23-04-05, 04:20 PM
gutted mate but sounds like you've got a plan to fix it though

scott.parker
23-04-05, 07:57 PM
Nasty mate sahme to think you wont get it round the nurburg ring though,but at leats it will be done nice in time no rushing things hey..

mine wil be ready hopefully for nextweekend,im rebuilding the head now as its a good one,no pistons wer damaged in mine though ive killed 5 valves,see it jumped three teeth out of time when i droped into 2nd at 90mph limmeters dont work at that engine speed :lol:

Scott

j1400
23-04-05, 10:14 PM
:cry: condelances, was a cracker of an engine, always a chance to move to 16v head though :)

kevster
24-04-05, 01:01 PM
realy sorry to here this news mate , i hope you have it al sorted soon
:o

krobinson
25-04-05, 09:23 PM
Got my spare engine, and got an F13 gearbox, have the box a powerwash and put it on the engine this evening. Will fit it into the bay tomorrow night, and plumb/wire it on wednesday evening!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/keithrobinson/spare3.jpg

Keith

Adam Moran
25-04-05, 09:39 PM
the spare looks rather tasty :wink:

Hope u get yours back soon buddy.

Ad

karl Rowntree
25-04-05, 10:01 PM
Hi Keith

Only found out about all your problems at the weekend when i went up to see the boys in stoke.

Really am sorry to hear about what has happened mate, though i think you will be due a safe and reliable trip after all your bad luck! Trust me keith the 1.4 will be more than enough for you to enjoy yourself around the ring :wink: Its more about the place and the people than how fast your car is there, plus you will get people coming up to you asking if you want to be a passenger in the car.

Funny thing at the weekend was when martin mentioned what had happened we all said lets go and help him :lol: You know if you where really stuck we would be over, as long as you buy us a pint of guiness that is :wink:

Fingers crossed for you keith and bring on some good luck, you deserve it! If you need anything mate just give us a call.

Karl

krobinson
25-04-05, 10:11 PM
Thanks Karl, means alot to hear all that!

I'm putting the engine in the bay tomorrow after work, then i'll plumb/wire it on wednesday evening. So i'll let you know when i have it all fired up!

See you in 2 weeks!

Keith

krobinson
25-04-05, 10:14 PM
P.S. I'm bringing some new headlights for You and Andys sport. :)

Keith

karl Rowntree
25-04-05, 10:19 PM
No worries mate, just aslong as you are ok for everything.

Will have a look tomorrow on the site to see how you get on.

Andy mentioned the headlights at the weekend, thanks mate thats one bit crossed off the parts wanted list :wink:

dhdev (Oli)
26-04-05, 01:12 PM
Gutted about ur no.1 engine but ur bk up motor sounds like it'll be more than up to the job!!! i think we should arrange a group buy on thread lock :lol:

S_Gault
26-04-05, 03:28 PM
i'll soon get it sorted for him.

the one good thing is that it didnt happen him in germany as it would have been a hell of a tow home.

you have to see a silver lining somewhere.

Steven

m.d.
26-04-05, 05:22 PM
is that your head and carbs on a different block.

krobinson
26-04-05, 10:17 PM
No, thats a complete engine, my carbs etc are new and look alot cleaner.

Got the engine in the bay tonight. All i need now is a 1.4 Distributor and coil, if anyone has one PLEASE pm me, i need it ASAP!, Its the pin driven one and not slot (cam side)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/keithrobinson/fitted.jpg

And i need the distributor to fit this cam, and coil to run it.. can anyone help?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/keithrobinson/distrib.jpg

Keith

paulwar
26-04-05, 10:29 PM
Mate looks nice. Looks like it shoudl would if you get a dizzy coil for it.

That blue is a very nice colour

krobinson
26-04-05, 10:30 PM
I have a 1300 dizzy, that runs off the cam using a slot. I need a dizzy that runs using a pin run off the cam, see pic!

Anyone?

Keith

Adam Moran
26-04-05, 10:51 PM
PM Will F... im sure he'll hav one somewhere, got loads of bits and bobs

Adam
26-04-05, 10:59 PM
Looks like you got a nice replacement engine whilst yours is being fixed :)

I am sure someone will have a 1400sr dizzy and coil hanging about somewhere

peester
27-04-05, 03:35 PM
you have to see a silver lining somewhere.

Steven

if only that were true, mr gault.

ur mistaking this forum for the jap imports forums.. :?

Riggy
27-04-05, 05:47 PM
keith pm sent

benji
27-04-05, 05:59 PM
keith, when are you going?
i can send you mine if you want, but i will need it back in time for the 24th of may

Snowface
27-04-05, 07:54 PM
how come you didn't use your aftermarket cam? That has a slot and a pin (my kent does anyway).

krobinson
27-04-05, 09:13 PM
Cheers Riggy and Benji for the offers. I ordered a Luca's distributor from Dixon vaux spares today, a bit desperate, but i need it asap. The guy says it will run of my 1300 coil, will it?

Snowface, didnt use my cam as it means more work that i dont need right now, i've never changed a cam before, so i'd also need some guidence.

Keith

benji
27-04-05, 09:22 PM
theres a guide on here.

i don't lik to be the bearer of bad news but i doubt you coil will work

krobinson
27-04-05, 09:49 PM
Have you a spare 1400 coil?

Keith

krobinson
27-04-05, 09:50 PM
Have you a spare 1400 coil?

Keith

Snowface
27-04-05, 09:54 PM
don't need to change the cam, just swap the whole cam carrier. Job done and a more sporty engine for the Ring.

be interesting to see for you how good the 1.4sr cam is with the 40's though. Its meant to be the best or there abouts standard cam found in Nova's.

benji
27-04-05, 10:00 PM
i can send you my whole set up. dizzy, coil all of it. but like i said i need it for a trackday at the end of may, when are you at the ring?

actually, i'll go to the scrappers on the way home tomorrow and see if i can get you one.

krobinson
27-04-05, 10:18 PM
don't need to change the cam, just swap the whole cam carrier. Job done and a more sporty engine for the Ring.

be interesting to see for you how good the 1.4sr cam is with the 40's though. Its meant to be the best or there abouts standard cam found in Nova's.

Its not an SR engine tho, its a single point injection astra engine. 60bhp standard or something daft. With 40's fitted it made 84bhp on rollers lol

Benji, if you find me a dizzy and coil tomorrow txt me on 07742859166 and i'll sort you for it.

Keith

Barn
27-04-05, 10:24 PM
Don't they have scrapyards in n.ireland then? :roll: lol

I might have a coil and dizzy in the shed, will check tomorrow

Snowface
27-04-05, 11:09 PM
ah, my bad.

Aragorn
27-04-05, 11:39 PM
i dont think their exists a dizzy that uses round peg but will work with the old 1300 breakerless ignition system

if uve gone and ordered a proper nova sr dizzy then youll need a matching coil and bosch HEI module as its the only engine fitted with this system

according to EPC the dizzy u need is a bosch unit not lucas?

the astra will have had a lucas dizzy on it for its MSTS system but the SR uses Bosch HEI not MSTS?

The coil u need is Bosch part number 1227020036 (GM 90350929)
the dizzy u need is bosch 0237009073 (GM 90350594)
and ignition module is bosch 1227010003 (GM 90006499)

the ignition module is the only thing thats fitted to other engines (16s,18E,18SE,30NE) but the 14NV is fitted to mk2 astras and mk3 cavaliers as well as the nova so theres quite a few cars to look thru

krobinson
28-04-05, 08:38 PM
Don't they have scrapyards in n.ireland then? :roll: lol

I might have a coil and dizzy in the shed, will check tomorrow

Yes they do, but i work during the week, and there aint alot of Nova's in scrappys here.

I have just over a week to get this sorted, so i need one asap.

Keith

epo
28-04-05, 08:47 PM
keith am of to scrap yard on saturday round here so ill have a look too and let you know if i find owt

krobinson
28-04-05, 08:54 PM
Riggy is sending me his ignition moduel, coil and dizzy. Thanks for the offer Epo :)

Keith

epo
28-04-05, 09:02 PM
no worries lets hope its all sorted