PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt C20XE

the road runner
22-04-05, 09:09 PM
Can anybody help with the setting up of the cam belt, water pump and auto tensioner on the 2.0 16v engine. I took the dam thing off to replace the belt along with the water pump and tensioner, without taking much notice of the routing and positions and now I can't seem to get it back on in the correct place.
None of the manuals are making much sense.

david dixon
23-04-05, 06:20 PM
what type tensioner is it? early or late?

the road runner
25-04-05, 11:53 PM
Not sure, it's the auto one if that helps.

david dixon
26-04-05, 08:48 PM
is it the one with the spring or or the groove and arrow?

the road runner
26-04-05, 11:50 PM
groove and arrow. We've got it timed up and running but we don't think the tensioner is working right.

david dixon
27-04-05, 06:40 PM
If you line up the timming marks at top and bottom the tensioner should be in the centre of the groove ( I think). :D

the road runner
27-04-05, 11:47 PM
That's what the book says and although it's a new tensioner the pointer is to the left of the groove.
It's working, so at the moment I'm trying to stop the alternator rubbing on the chassis rail. I've knocked the rail flush with the turret so now I'm thinking of altering the nearside mount to swing the engine around a bit.

david dixon
29-04-05, 04:27 PM
If you have knocked the wing in level with the turret it shouldn't be catching unless you have the wrong bracket on.

if your belt is tight i wouldn't worry about it to much, just keep an eye on it for a while.

the road runner
29-04-05, 11:21 PM
Fortunately the engine came out of a Nova so presumably it had the right mounts and brackets but it's only an assumption.
It looks like the whole thing needs to raised at the cam belt end and twisted clockwise a touch.