PDA

View Full Version : My Narrowboat & Internet question

NovaloadedAgain
20-04-05, 12:47 PM
My Narrowboat is finally complete! well not quite, its now in a liveable condition.
Just need to do the anodes & hull blacking in the summer.
I'll get some pics up when i got a chance.

Im gonna live on it, so I dont have to pay hardly bugger all to live-Meaning more money can go on the Nova. So how will I go about using the internet?
Is there a way???

Spud
20-04-05, 12:57 PM
laptop and funky mobile with infared or bluetooth or something. someone i knew had that once, just not on a boat though

NovaloadedAgain
20-04-05, 01:34 PM
Yeah I dont have a desktop anyway-got me laptop coz I always planned to move on the boat sooner or later, So how would I do it guys????

jkhilton
20-04-05, 01:56 PM
as has been suggested, mobile and laptop or a data card from someone like orange or vodafone(but they are expensive!!)

But it could also depend on where you are and if the area has any wireless internet access.

Is the boat going to be permanently moored somewhere?

Nick
20-04-05, 07:02 PM
Talking of private moorings...

i have done some work on a new canal boat place for work..

i can get hold of a private,reserved mooring for cheap ! :-D

NovaloadedAgain
21-04-05, 12:23 AM
The mooring comes complete with leccy etc but would never be able to have a telephone pole! Lol.
I used to work for that particular marina & even they arent open to the offer! Lol. I think the wireless connection path will have to be further researched.

Any other ideas?

kevw
21-04-05, 03:42 PM
If the place the boat is moored at would let you, do the following:

* Get a phone line installed at the offices/shop/whatever where it is moored
* Get ADSL on this phone line
* Get an ADSL router with a built in WiFi access point
* On your laptop get a WiFi card if the laptop hasn't already got it built in

Basically you would be paying to have a phone and ADSL installed at the mooring place then sharing the internet connection out over wireless.
Depending on distance you might need to spend extra on some decent antennas to get better coverage. Also depending on distance you could sort something to have a phone on your boat!

If you got other boat owners in on it you could reduce the cost and have more chance of the people at the mooring letting you. OR you could do it alone and charge other boat owners which could make it free for you!

Kev.

NovaloadedAgain
22-04-05, 03:11 PM
Nice one Kev!

Ive had a word with the marina owner & he is a grumpy old bast*rd as soon as I mentioned internet & phone lines he looked at me like I was from Mars! Lol-Not gonna allow it!
So looks like I will have to do some big research! & also charge other boat owners for using my internet connection when I do sort it!

marsh_man
22-04-05, 04:10 PM
Yeah but make sure you get a fast connection Baz.

Because when I bring my computer round and we wire it up to a Lan, I wanna be able to see websites and images ;)

Or a router would come in handy, considering how it was last time!

Jack
22-04-05, 07:25 PM
Get the narrowboat featured! :lol:

marsh_man
22-04-05, 11:40 PM
Get the narrowboat featured! :lol:

PMSL :D

That will be a laugh!

Get an un-named boat and call it Novadose :D