PDA

View Full Version : Springs

notenuffhoursintheday
20-04-05, 12:49 AM
hey guys is it easy to put springs on im gathering the back ones u just jack up the car backend then undo the shocks at the back from the arches then slide the springs on the back but with the front does anyone know any tricks of the trade to get em on without hiring a spring clamp thanks

chris

dunova
20-04-05, 10:15 AM
hey guys is it easy to put springs on im gathering the back ones u just jack up the car backend then undo the shocks at the back from the arches then slide the springs on the back but with the front does anyone know any tricks of the trade to get em on without hiring a spring clamp thanks

chris

I would very strongly advise that you DO use a spring clamp/compressor (you can pick up a pair from Halfrauds for about ?18). There's a lot of stored energy in compressed springs and if you just unbolt the top plate without compressing the spring then you'll probably take your head off :!:

But if you do get a spring compressor then its quite an easy job and the back are swapped just how you said.

Gunzi
20-04-05, 11:15 AM
Don't be a fool for the sake of a few quid, buy spring clamps!

dunova
20-04-05, 11:33 AM
(you can pick up a pair from Halfrauds for about ?18)

That was supposed to read ?18 :lol:

SRlew
20-04-05, 03:09 PM
when you undo the rear shocks to take the rear springs out do they just come out easily or do you need to get a crowbar or sumin? :lol:

just woundering cause im buying some lower springs soon.

cheers

dan-hipgrave
20-04-05, 05:16 PM
they come out very easily mate, as above, just jack up the car, and undo the bolts securing the bottom of the shock to the axle, then the springs will fall out..

notenuffhoursintheday
20-04-05, 05:39 PM
cheers guys i'll do it that way no point doing it when i have no head hehe or damaged part of my body im not to assed about shocks as i dont want it to stiff so when i hit a bump its like hiting a boulder i use to have a gte with 60mm on and i hated it put thats how i brought it but now i just have a 1.2 :( but at the end of the day the speed limit is all i do maybe a little more :D

Jack
20-04-05, 05:57 PM
If you're gettin 60mm springs and keeping standard dampers, you might want to cable tie the rear springs in place so they don't drop out come MOT time :wink:

notenuffhoursintheday
20-04-05, 07:05 PM
ive heard theres a good chance of the back springs popping out on the back when u go over a bump is this true and is there a way of stopping it and if it did what would happen

dunova
20-04-05, 10:06 PM
I think they'd only pop out if the back of the car left the ground, and still i think its unlikely (depending on the make of springs). My -80mm springs would have fallen out for sure, but my car never left the ground so they never gave me any probs :wink:

General Baxter
20-04-05, 10:09 PM
seeing as im a clown, you do this at your own risk, dont blame me if your head comes off

do what i didtake the front shock off and just grind the spring, as it snaps it looses all compresson and is piss easy to take off then :wink: :lol:

notenuffhoursintheday
21-04-05, 07:26 AM
anyone else know if theyll just pop out at the back and has anyone else done it ? thanks

chris

totalnova
21-04-05, 10:59 AM
the rear springs is a piss easy job takes ten minutes
1 jack the car up (rear)
2 put it on axel stands
3 put the jack under the rear axel
4 undo the two bolts for the rear shocks one per shock
5 the axel is no free slowly let the jack down
6 u can now pull the rear springs out (very easy dont worry)
7 put new springs in and do up in reverse
have fun hope its as low as you want
:lol:

Jack
21-04-05, 01:02 PM
anyone else know if theyll just pop out at the back and has anyone else done it ? thanks

chris
Its happened on a Rover local to me once, he had cut springs though (60mm with std shocks). Came round a corner a little quick, springs parted company with car, lost control and was quite literally chopped in half by a car coming the other way that T-boned him :o